cat food mix

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sugargliderlove

Hedge Addict
I am wanting to add another cat food to my hedgies food. I currently feed Natures Recipe Active Adult Salmon & Brown Rice. I was thinking of adding Authority Hairball Control Weight Management Cat Food to the Natures Recipe. I wanted to get input on adding this to their current food.
here is the ingredients of Natures Recipe Active Adult Salmon & Brown Rice cat food:

Ingredients:

Salmon, salmon meal, brown rice, chicken meal, pearled barley, brewers rice, pea protein, poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural flavor, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), niacin supplement, inositol, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, beta carotene, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), minerals (zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), citric acid, yucca schidigera extract, rosemary extract
Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude protein (min.) 32%, crude fat (min.) 15%, crude fiber (max.) 6%, moisture (max.) 10%, calcium (min.) 1%, phosphorous (min.) 0.8%, taurine (min.) 0.12%, Omega 3 fatty acids* (min.) 0.4%, Omega 6 fatty acids* (min.) 1.75%

here is the ingredients of Authority Hairball Control Weight Management Cat Food :

Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Protein Concentrate, Ground Corn, Dried Beet Pulp, Natural Flavor, Powdered Cellulose, Poultry Fat (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Dried Egg Product, Fructooligosaccharides, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamin Mononitrate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 supplement, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols, L-Carnitine.

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (not less than) 33.0%
Crude Fat (not less than) 8.0%
Crude Fat (not more than) 11.5%
Crude Fiber (not more than) 7.0%
Moisture (not more than) 10.0%
Ash (not more than) 6.5%
Calcium (not less than) 1.0%
Phosphorus (not less than) 0.9%
Magnesium (not more than) 0.11%
Zinc (not less than) 225 mg/kg
Selenium (not less than) 0.2 mg/kg
Vitamin A (not less than 25,000 IU/kg
Vitamin E (not less than) 250 IU/kg
Taurine (not less than) 0.15%
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (not less than) 2.0%*
Omega-6 Fatty Acids (not less than) 0.10%*
Carnitine (not less than) 100 mg/kg*

Well, your current food may be too high in fat (15% is somewhat high unless you are dealing with a small hog who runs more than he/she eats). It really depends on how your hedgie's weight is. The ingredients were good though. The new food you suggest might be ok but I have no idea what corn protein concentrate is, nor do I think that is even physically possible.....corn is really just a filler and those are listed as ingredients four and five which indicates they are quite heavy.

Cat food Mix

thanks for the input April. I feel like I am talking to myself cause my name is April as well. Lena Bean(female) is a small lanky little girl. what I mean by lanky is that she long and thin.she is 2 years old. Sonic(male) is a round but thin little guy. He is also 2 years old. they both seem to be under weight when I got them from a girl who did not have the time for them. they were being fed camerical hedgehog food and were kinda thin. Since I have got them on 6/29/12 they have gained a little weight. they run in their wheel like no tomorrow. I give them 2 tbsp of food each night. they eat all of it.

Last edited:
I'm with Charlie regarding the Authority -- seems like a lot of corn. Though the chicken is likely a nice addition to the Salmon :)

I also haven't really heard of others feeding their hedgies Authority... it's never made the lists of foods people have recommended. Perhaps it's due to the corn content. And I'm not too sure what things they've added in to make it "hairball control." The possibility that there may be weird/unnatural/chemical-type-things in there to help control cat fur issues also makes me wonder a bit about its long-term safety for hedgehogs.

I'd stick with something more like Blue Buffalo, CSCLS, Fromm, Spot's Stew, Innova (though my Satin thoroughly rejected Innova - personal preference, I suppose), etc...

ok. I will look into other brands of food. Authority seems like a decent food. I will check out other authority types.

I am going to go with Simply Nourish indoor cat food and Innova Senior cat food. I have been talking to people on hedgehog central and we discussed a bunch of foods and I made a decision of doing a mix of those two foods. the total protein is 35% and fat is 11%

Latest posts

Back