Care after tooth extraction

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ysy

Hi everyone,

My chin Kelly has just gotten one of her molars extracted because it was fractured and splintering. She is still in pain as the extraction occurred today and unfortunately painkillers are not an option due to her allergies.

I would like to know if there is anything i can do for her while she heals. I know she needs to be hand-fed. She just took some critical care from me and is obviously hungry. I feed as much as i can until she decides that it is enough. I also have some antiseptic cream for her tooth to prevent infection which i will need to apply for her.

Does anyone know how long a chin takes to recover from a dental? And also how soon i should see improvements ie appetite coming back before i start getting worried?

This is my first encounter with teeth problems so i would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

My dental chin has had an extraction. He bounced back i just a couple days and was eating well on his own. He was only on pain meds for 2 days. I hand fed him for about a week just to make sure he didn't lose much weight. I started out feeding him every 4 hours and then started stretching the feedings out over that week.

Thank you obcsed! I appreciate your help.

Kelly seems better today and is eating more of the cc. She rummaged through her hay last night but i am not sure if she ate any, but at least she is touching them compared to before the extraction.

Sounds good. She will likely get more interested in food over the next few days. Hope she has a speedy recovery.

You may try a little mint (dried organic) to boost appetite and acidophilus crushed in the CC. Watch closely to see if gas drops are needed. Sometimes gas buildup in the gut after being put out for a procedure or after sickness.

Thank you for your well wishes obcsed.

Encantadora - Thanks for your suggestion. I believe we are clear of gut issues for now. Her poop did become smaller on the day of the extraction but has since returned to normal.

Dawn - No, she's not on antibiotics. My vet doesn't believe in giving chins antibiotics unless they really need them, and with Kelly's past history of digestive issues, I don't think he's going to prescribe those to her. I do have an antiseptic cream to apply for her, although to be fair, Kelly is being very uncooperative and I'm not totally sure if I got the right place. I just slap on a huge portion into the pocket in her left cheek where the tooth was extracted. Is infection a very real risk here? I caught Kelly's tooth problem very early and there was no infection at all prior to the extraction.

Today's Day 4 since the extraction and Kelly is doing well. She's back to her happy bouncy self (except during cream applying) and her appetite is coming back. There is still the very occasional pawing of her mouth, but it has reduced as the days go by. Definitely not as frequent as before the extraction. Last night, she devoured a bowl of alfafa leaves that I gave her. The only thing that is not quite normal is that she is not taking a lot of her timmy hay yet. She does pick them out, shreds them, but I don't actually see her eating them whereas in the past, she will just plant her butt in front of the timmy hay and eat them strand by strand.

It can be a risk, the tooth socket is deep and it can become a breeding ground for bacteria from food being inpacted in it.

Back