cardboard hut. or other

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperDuper ChinnieBaby

so my chin out grew his hut and I cant make it to the store to get him an other one for a week or so... I was wondering can I just give him a cardboard box.... does it have to be straight cardboard can it be a shoe box diaper box.. or is having that paper on top of the cardboard a bad idea and just get him straight cardboard with nothing on it... hes in desperate need of a hiddey hut... or is there any suggestions of at home objects I can use until the time comes where im able to get him one

I wouldn't use anything with glue or printed paper (or even postage stickers) on it, just because chins just chew on anything. I don't yet have huts for my chins (in the process of building stuff for them still) so what I do is put a fleece blanket over the side so that at least they have some privacy when they sit under their shelves. It works, not perfect, but it does provide a little feeling of security for them.

Boxes are ok, ideally use plain cardboard, or at the very least food boxes. The biggest issue with cardboard is some chins do eat it so you have to keep a close eye on the chin. Also for some chins cardboard is fun to shred and pee on. Better ideas are a cleaned empty metal coffee tin, an empty oatmeal tube container, large clay pot turned on it's side, water grade pvc pipe, ummm. that's all I can think of off hand.

you can always buy some wood and make a hut. Its actually not that hard. For this kind you just need a saw to cut and a drill (pilot holes)

Kits_in_liner.jpg

Back