Cardboard/Fleece cage liner

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjfarrow

Hi, I am getting a chinchilla from a breeder next week and I have done hours and hours of research. The cage i got unfortunately has wire floors so I have been looking into covering them. I want to use fleece but I am afraid it wont absorb urine fully. Is it okay for be to use cardboard that is covered by fleece with metal clamps. This way the cardboard will absorb the pee, and I can throw it away every week or so and wash the fleece.

Any advice/suggestions I would appreciate.

Scrap the cardboard

Cardboard will get very smelly quickly, so I would recommend using just a thick fleece lined with multiple layers so the wire won't hurt their feet. Put it through the wash a couple of times (Don't use laundry detergent, that will make it lose its absorbency) and it should be fine. You can also use paper or pine/aspen shavings, just make sure something like metal or plastic will cover the wire. Never let them walk on exposed wire, they can get their feet caught and end up getting extremely injured.
These are the only options I could think of right now. If anyone else has any other options, please share!
Hope this helped!

Back