Cardboard bagels?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeoMonster

So I ordered Mazuri food from a breeder in Texas, and upon receiving it they had added little extras, including two little cardboard bagels. I have seen them sold on other sites so I wasn't worried about giving Leo one...but he looks like he's eating it not chewing it. How can I tell? Are these actually safe for them?

They are fine.

I swear that Mr. Whiskers would rather have one of these than any other treat!!! He gets VERY excited when he sees one being offered!!!

The other 2 will chew them, but not as excitedly as Whiskers.

Woodrow I'll PM you. And I've heard cardboard is only safe if it isn't dyed. ie. a toilet paper roll like Vcchinchilla stated. Leo gets bored of his after a day or so though, so I don't leave them in there too long.

Bagel bites have been around for a very long time, and are non toxic. I even use them for my parrots. The only thing I would be concerned about with the toilet paper roll is if glue is used.

Yeah that's what I was worried about, the glue. Because I got my chinchilla from a woman who wanted to downsize her number of pets, she gave me a cage too, and the cage had a long cardboard tube in there. I didn't notice any glue at the time, but as I saw Mickey chew at it, I saw he was pulling at glue off of the tube, I immediately took the tube out because I figured it wasn't safe at all.

I notice that paper towel tubes have glue on them, so I avoid them. I haven't seen glue on the toilet paper ones though

Back