Cardboad?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard yes, and I've heard no. But I've also noticed MANY people on here selling mini colored cardboard tube chewies. I'd also like a little insight on this as well!

My boys love to chew and tear the paper off of cardboard boxes, they like destroying the cardboard sheets hiding under their fleece liners. But they don't eat it. They leave pieces everywhere like confetti. They do the same with their balsa chews.

If your chinchilla actually eats the cardboard, then you would need to take it away. If they just shred it, then it's ok.

Why is it bad if they eat it? Just curious. What is cardboard made of anyways other than cellulose maybe?

I put boxes and such in with the chinchillas, they love to destroy them. But they don't eat them just shred them and pee on them so I make sure to give it to them the day before cage cleaning. They make such a mess about it

If they injest a chunck of wood it can cause impaction. Anything not fully digested when it hits the GI tract can cause impaction. Even that "safe" carefresh bedding can cause impaction

my chin loves to shred boxes. My chin also has a cardboard maze that she loves, but she has slowly been shredding away the inside walls. Whatever makes her happy!

I have never had a problem with carboard. I use a varity of boxes and containers with my guys. I use kleenex boxes for hay, and pop(soda for those not in the midwest) boxes for playtime/extra hidey houses. They are nice because you dont have to clean them, they really enjoy shreding them, and they are Free from stuff we buy anyway!

Back