Can't get chin to eat anything

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the price we have paid for trying to add a third feeding (to get him to 3 x 10 cc) is that he snubbed the 2nd and now 3rd feeding and he is not happy with us. He ate 6 cc at 9:45 am, maybe 1cc this afternoon, and 1cc tonight. He loved his grape antibiotic drops, had to use them first to get the metacam in, and his nose is a little runny. (No URI per vet this week). He is grinding his teeth. And drooling, and he STINKS :(

Yeah, the weight gain gods are not happy that he gained 6 g. Bet that is gone at tomorrow's weigh in unless he has a change of heart before we go to bed. We are wiped from staying up, and we would if he would take the food. I did soak his pellets and made a powder from it and put it in his bowl, so if he wants to eat, there is something soft in the cage. Don't know what else to do.

Malo chins are a 24/7/365 issue, it can and will grind you down eventually.
Isn't that the truth? :yes:

Well, the price we have paid for trying to add a third feeding (to get him to 3 x 10 cc) is that he snubbed the 2nd and now 3rd feeding and he is not happy with us. He ate 6 cc at 9:45 am, maybe 1cc this afternoon, and 1cc tonight. He loved his grape antibiotic drops, had to use them first to get the metacam in, and his nose is a little runny. (No URI per vet this week). He is grinding his teeth. And drooling, and he STINKS :(

Yeah, the weight gain gods are not happy that he gained 6 g. Bet that is gone at tomorrow's weigh in unless he has a change of heart before we go to bed. We are wiped from staying up, and we would if he would take the food. I did soak his pellets and made a powder from it and put it in his bowl, so if he wants to eat, there is something soft in the cage. Don't know what else to do.

I cannot remember what pain meds this little chap is on at the moment - please can you remind me?
In your situation, tooth grinding, pawing at his mouth, inability to eat, & drooling all indicate pain.

Forgive me for being negative but I think you are fighting a losing battle & I do not think the vets have been kind to you or your beloved pet. Quinto has been struggling since last October & he is now at a point where he cannot seem to eat, despite your best efforts. I know you want to give him one last chance but dental problems like his cannot be cured. I think you need to ask yourself what quality of life your little furry friend has at the moment & whether you genuinely think that will change over the coming days.

My heart does go out to you, your daughter & Quinto - I wish you all the best.

Thanks Dawn and Claire, he did take 6 cc last night, I know it isn't enough. He was ravenously hungry, and ate well, so we do know he can eat. I just want to give the time frame to recover from the filing, then if he is still bad, then I (and my daughter) will really know. And we won't look back knowing we tried and gave him all chances.

Its good he has a appetite, when they do not its really hard to feed. A chin with that degree of filing done will have sensitive teeth and the soft tissue needs to heal. It can take 2-3 weeks for it all to feel better above the gum line, if pain persists then your pain is coming below the gumline from the roots.

Just found out his pain med metacam is 1/3 as strong as what the other vet from last filing gave us. No wonder he doesn't want to eat, he hurts :(

Is .2cc of 1.5 mg/mL too much? That is the old concentration. We have been giving .2cc of .5 mg/mL. Both say same dosing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back