Candy - I miss you soo <3

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saphire

Christiane's Chinchillas
In These pictures she is in her 80lbs... imagine what she looked like at 40...

My sweet rescue Candy a mix lab and golden that I found roaming around the roads in the dead winter for several weeks. (country) .

One day coming back form errands, I stopped and she looked at me scared. Took out cat food and emptied half the bag on the ground, never seen a dog bring it down so fast without getting sick after, but not her. Then 1 whole loaf of bread and that was gone in no time. I thought she had had little ones, since her teats where way down. I searched, went to all the homes I can see around where I would had seen her, looked into abandonned shacks etc.. but found nothing.

I invited her into the car, skitishly she got in and I brought her home. Sylvain said she was not to stay. I knew better but agreed with him.

Brought her to the vet for a full check up, couldn't tell what age she was because her teeth where so warned down. Figured between 4-8. She had severe allergies, no fur on the stomach, had her elbows, and behind down to the skin and thick that it looked like leather. Her inner ears where infected and had otalgie, the ears where approx 1/2 inch thick from allergies and infections. Her teats still had little milk and some down to blood coming out. Had a mass in the teat area.

Got her operated for the mass to see if it was benine, I wanted her neutured at the same time. The vet did not want to because of not knowing her age. I told her it would be best because I am likely not going to have her put under again for the same reasons, she did not operate her. Which got me and my regular vet upset when I had to put her down. Because she left us for that reason. She could of had more time with us.

Her and I had a special bond, can't explain it. I loved and love all my animals no matter, but with her there was that extra something. Anyhow, you could see she had been on her own for a long time. She would eat everything my cat brought in from her hunting, mice, rabbit, birds, squirrels... she even caught some herself.

Finally found out later on that she may not have had any little ones when I found her, for every heat period she would produce milk and she would drink it herself. I believe she had what we call in french a nervous pregnancy and that may have helped her survive.

This all being said, she went from 40 to 80lbs in a month, fur started to grow back on her stomach was on cortizone daily but she did well. Had her for 4 years. She is my angel of all angels. I miss her soo.

I know it doesn't help the pain right now,but one day you will smile at the beautiful memories you have of her.It sounds like you both have been blessed to have had one another even if for a few years.Just think what she would have never known if you hadn't met her-a loving bellyrub,a good meal,warm place to sleep and the simple gift to know that not all humans are cruel and uncaring.The most priceless treasures are not to be found here on earth,but in Heaven.

I think you are wonderful for taking her in and getting her healthy again. I bet she was so grateful and I can imagine how strong your bond must have been. I am so sorry for your loss, but feel good knowing you gave her a much longer and better life than she was originally going to have before you found her. May she forever be in your heart and may she rest in peace.

Jenn she has been gone for 3-4 years... I don't really count time, it keeps me young.
I don't know what it is lately, but she has just been haunting me in a sweet way.

I loved all my little ones that have left me, and love the ones that I have. I just have been feeling her lately. I know this sounds out there for some... but it is true to me.

Thank you again and Chief Seattle is right...I can live without men, but not the beast. No offence to the humains LOL.

She is a Beautiful dog, I just love her face.
It's awesome you took her in and gave her four amazing years.
I know about an extra special bond you have with some pets, even though you love them all dearly. I have that same special/different bond with one of my cats.
I lost my dog Jewel 4 years ago, and there are times I randomly think about her more and I don't know why. But it makes me smile knowing she'll live on forever in my thoughts and heart.
It takes a special person to rescue a dog, especially right off the street like you did.
RIP Candy, I'm sure she's running free with all the other dogs right now.

She was beautiful! I don't think it's out there that she comes to you in your thoughts. I think it's the same as if she were a human that was close to you. My grandmother comes to me often and she's been gone for almost 15 years now. I'm sorry you lost her but always remember she had an amazing 4 years with you.

Kara and Sandi, She was prettym and had great kindness in her eyes. Simply a sweet gentle face.

thank you both for your words, I appreciate it .

Back