Can two dominant personality chins be successful as cagemates?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chin_gal

Me? Addicted?
Hello there!

I had a question. I have recently had to split up my last pair of chins. The first pair I had to split up (Charlie and Roscoe) because Charlie kept harassing poor Roscoe. They kept fighting, and Charlie kept chewing Roscoe's whiskers down until they were non existent. He also kept chewing on/pulling out Roscoe's fur (I saw him doing this to him, and he doesn't chew himself?). I felt really bad for Roscoe, and before anything was to escalate any further, I separated them. There was never any blood shed, but I didn't like what was happening between them.

Now, a few weeks ago, I had to separate Kipper and Mango. I felt bad, because they have been together since they were kits (so they were successfully together for almost 6 years). But Mango started on Kipper like Charlie did on Roscoe. Mango kept pulling the hair out of Kipper's tail (it was seriously down to a rat tail), kept chewing his whiskers WAY down, and the two were always scuffling. I trimmed Mango's whiskers down, and it helped for a little while, but soon after the scuffling started again. Then, Mango wasn't allowing Kipper to eat anymore, and would attack him when he'd try to drink, so I finally had to separate them.

So, now what I want to do, is I want to try and pair Roscoe and Kipper together (the two that were getting picked on), and try and pair Charlie and Mango together. My question is, because they were both "bullies", is there going to be any problems between them because of it? Is it like pairing to "dominant" dogs together, or even, two dominant personality people? Could that cause conflict? Or will they establish their own order like any other pair? Before I attempt this, I just want to make sure there is no higher amount of risk than there is in any other pair of chins.

Thanks! :))

Well, in the words of my attorney, "If you don't ask, the answer is always 'no'" (best advice EVER!!!)

I would start out with a shared playtime in a neutral area and see how they do. Be vigilant for anything that might escalate into an actual fight. They MAY be able to play together, if not live together, after some time spent under the microscope with you present.

I would also try a slow intro for the 2 that were bullied -- they will need some time to feel safe and not threatened.

Good luck and keep us posted...

I would not try to do this. You could try to pair the submissive cage mates with the understanding ONE of them will become dominant, but I would not pair the two dominant chins together. I would keep those two separate. You might actually wind up with 4 separate males, but certainly try the submissive two and see what happens.

Another consideration is trying to introduce 2 separate pairs at the same time. I would avoid doing this because dominance behavior can negatively influence chins in different cages. Pairs who have a long established relationship are less bothered by dominance issues in other cages.

I agree with Laurie about putting the less dominant chins together. Why don't you do that and then give it some time before you consider putting the other males together.

Last edited:
Ime, if you've had to pull a male b/c he's a bully, he's going to get into fights in the new pairing too. I didn't have any luck w/ a very dominant and a sort of dominant male in the same cage, but both of the dominant guys got on fine w/ the submissive guy. I'd say try to slowly (over a period of months) introduce the two who were bullied, but leave the other two separate.

Ok, thanks everyone! I will try introducing the submissive two this coming weekend, and just keep the other two separate for now. The only thing that has me curious is that Charlie and Mango never used to be like this. Charlie and Roscoe lived in harmony for 2 years (and were also in a trio at one point with no problem). When this started to happen, it was like it was out of no where. Same as with Kipper and Mango. They had been together for 6 years almost (and even at one point were in a group of 4, no problems), and everything had been fine. It was a really sudden thing, but it just didn't stop. So, is this really that they are just pushy chinchillas, or that something else may have been causing their irritation to the other cagemate? I just find it odd that they lived fine together for so long. I mean, I know that sometimes chinchillas will randomly turn on their cagemates, but this doesn't seem like that (nor is it savage)?

Obviously, if it's really thought to be dangerous, I'm not going to do it (TRUST me, I know how annoying it is for advice to be ignored, and I don't want my boys to be hurt). I am just wondering if it makes a difference that they didn't have problems at all until right near the point when they had to be separated. Charlie/Roscoe and Mango/Kipper were also caged next to each other for years, so I don't know if maybe they set each other off or something. It's just so odd to me. Oh, and Charlie and Mango are still caged next to each other, so they are very used to seeing each other. I just haven't let them interact at all. Even if caging them wouldn't work, should a playtime be ok? If they get along, would caging them together be more of an option? Obviously it's not a problem to keep them separated, heck... they're all separated right now, but it'd be nice for them to have a cagemate for some company if it's at all possible.

Thank you so much everyone for your advice! Trust me, I'm not ignoring it, just asking questions. :)) I'm inquisitive. :D

Back