can they have clover??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookie

So I've heard you can dry dandelion leafs for chinchillas but I was wondering if they can have dried clover too. I was just thinking of putting a bit with their hay since they havn't been that interested in it lately. I've heard they can have red clover but right now there isn't any flowers on our clover so how do you know the difference between the different clover(or can they just have any kind?)? Thanks.

I know that your not suppose to give pregnant chins red clover, but you can give it to other chins. In terms of quantity I dont know, I would stick with a pinch. I know there is a safe herb list somewhere.

read HERE it talks about lits of different things you can give chins and what they will do/are for. It says its for PMS and cramps and helps prevent heart disease.

The old safe herb list on serilla chinchillas isnt working. It says the domain expired.

You may want to read:
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12300&highlight=safe+herb

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1910&highlight=herbs

i use dried red clover sometimes in my herbal mix. i have all boys. and the girl rescue i have is definitely not pregnant.

i both saved and printed out that serilla chinchilla list but dont have on this computer. things always disappear when i need them most thats why i print them!

if they havenet been too interested in hay that may be another issue. try changing the brand or giving them something different. try hay cubes too??
also sometimes try putting a small pinch of rose petals on the hay. i think every one of my chins loves those.

So I've heard you can dry dandelion leafs for chinchillas but I was wondering if they can have dried clover too. I was just thinking of putting a bit with their hay since they havn't been that interested in it lately. I've heard they can have red clover but right now there isn't any flowers on our clover so how do you know the difference between the different clover(or can they just have any kind?)? Thanks.

my yard fills up with white clover...is that different than the red?

Thanks everyone!
Jenn, thats what I'm wondering too. I dont know what kind of clover I have or how to tell the difference...escpecially since there isn't any flowers yet...

I would just be wary about giving too much. Red clover is a legume (in the same class as alfalfa) so it is high in calcium content. Too much could cause stones. I remember reading on a horse forum that red clover needs to be watched as it can produce a toxin if it becomes damp and molds.

Edit: here it is
If the clover in hay becomes damp, causing it to become moldy (brown spots on the leaves), a fungal toxin, slaframine, is produced, which induces severe salivation, or slobbering.

http://www.horseadvice.com/horse/messages/3/53806.html

Latest posts

Back