can I modify this???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinny

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4470995

I have this cage. I want to add on to it and make it taller and bigger but I cannot come up with an idea to do this. I have dogs so I dont want anything to where they will be able to get at her. I just dont know if there is a way but I thought I would ask if anyone else has an idea about it. Thanks.

I can't think of a way to build on to it, and make it sturdy and secure. There are some threads on building cages. Perhaps you could just build an entire cage from scratch? Bass Equipment company sells metal pans, and Quality cage company does too if you just ask. So that could give you a foundation.

I see no room for expansion with that cage. The plastic tray and how the wire sits on top of it eliminates most ideas I may have had for it. I'd suggest the same thing as Brittany and make a new one yourself if you want your chin to have more space.

I would like to add that since this cage sits on casters off the ground, I would be a little concerned about stability if you decide to "build up". I would hate for a wall surfing chinny to end up knocking his cage over. I agree with the two previous posters. Build a new one from scratch, or look into buying a more appropriate used cage from Craigslist or a rescue. A lot of people donate cages along with animals, so you would be helping to support a rescue in your area :)

i would go with a bigger cage! chins, shouldnt be housed in plastic cage anyway, they WILL chew it , and plastic is toxic if ingested.

I have one of those sitting here right now. One of my customers needed me to chin sit and he brought the chin's cage here with the chin. That cage is not sturdy at all. I do not believe that it is worth the effort to modify it. The casters on the bottom are small and cannot hold much weight. The one that is here is not very stable. Even with the casters locked, the darn thing keeps getting scooted around the floor. Also, it is just not that big. It may be fine for a one young chin, but that's' about it.

well the casters arent supporting it. Mine are slid into the wood on top of a cabinet so it is balanced and doesn't wiggle. I did figure it wouldn't be able to be expanded. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back