Can I handle my Chin when I am pregnant?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brstin2flames

Hi folks,

I just got my Chin about two months ago and I just found out I am newly pregnant :)

My question is if there is any precautions I have to take as far as cleaning the cage or handling him during my pregnancy? I know there you are not supposed to clean cat litter boxes, but its proving a little difficult to find any information on the internet as far as Chinchillas. I looked up pet rats and pregnancy since Chins are rodents I thought maybe that would be similar?

Any help is really appreciated! I don't want to stop giving my little guy attention!

There are no precautions that you need to take. The cleaning litter box thing it due to possible parasites (like toxo which can cause birth deformities). I'm sure you are clean and wash your hands after so keep on working with your chin!

I am 6 months pregnant and have continued to clean my cages and interact with my chins the whole time. My doctor saw no problems with it. Like mentioned just make sure to wash your hands well afterwards. I also wear a mask while cleaning just because their hay and dust irritates my allergies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have gone through 2 pregancies 100 chinchillas 1st time 200 2nd time with no concerns other than my carrying 50lbs of food twice a week chinchillas care is not harmful to a pregnancy

Yeah, vegetarian pets don't have issues with their poop like carnivores do! And we know you probably keep your chinnie's cage clean anyway!

Of course, there would be nothing wrong with taking advantage of this opportunity to get your significant other to take over some of the chores.... =o)

Latest posts

Back