Can I change my chins dust after 10 years? and what is the best hay?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddy

<--My little soldier!
My chin uses this dust for her sand bath http://www.petsathome.com/shop/bathing-dust-for-chinchillas-3kg-by-b-and-d-15778
She's always had it, but she has actually always sneezed after going in one and she seems to be sticking her nose in it now too!! Lol weird :S
Am I able to swap and change her dust bath over to test other brands? She's been on her current one for around 10 years, so I'm not sure if it may harm her or something? :S

Also, last year she went of hay completely and she wont touch her normal Pets at Home hay. What's the best hay I can give her? Just trying to encourage her to eat things atm.

I use Blue Cloud dust and Oxbow hay with my chins and it works great. I've switched between dust brands before and haven't had it be an issue for my chins. They just see the dust and go nuts, regardless of what brand it is

Okay will be ordering Blue Cloud dust from Amazon tomorrow. And I have found timothy hay by Alfalfa King. If anyone knows if that is any decent? I will be trying that on her too- as she seems not to be interested in any kind of hay whatsoever. She hasn't been for about a year now. Strange huh? Maybe it's her teeth.

Dumor

I just changed from Kaytee to Dumor and my chin is tearing it up;)

Since your chin has dental troubles (re: your other posts) it could be that. I would also try different kinds of hay like orchard grass and oat hay to see if anything tickles her fancy.

I use blue cloud dust is easy to find it in uk I order it from zooplus... and from hay kings is the best Timothy hay u can get in uk imo is better than the oxbow this year and anyway is one of the best Timothy u can get in uk.. My advice is to use it and every now and then mix it with alfalfa, grass or flowers..also if your little one has dental probs try beaphar care + for me is the best pellets u can get any were... they help but really help chins with dental probs... I know people that order it and pay delivery to USA to get this pellets from EU just to feed their chins with dental probs.

Petsmart or PetCo should have Oxbow hay, I would recommend that. Switch it up with some orchard hay, timothy, and oat hay :) Your chins will love it!

So where can I find Beaphar care? I changed her diet last year when she first developed her tooth issue. She has Pets at Home brand pellets. She didn't even notice I had changed it (and there was a fair bit of a difference between the two!)
Also, she has picked up a new habit of licking or eating her dust? Waa? Why would she even want to do that? :S It's not like she's going hungry, I mean she has had 50mls of food today and another 10mls in the next hour.
She also wont wee unless she is on top of her cage. These new habits have started up since 2 days ago. It's so strange. There is only a Pets at Home around where I live. I have never seen oxbow hay here. :S The only one at PaH is the Timothy Hay... and its the choice of these:
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/excel-herbage-timothy-hay-1kg-15678

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/timothy-hay-1.8kg-by-alfalfa-king-36642

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/timothy-feeding-hay-by-pets-at-home-58687

Maybe I could get the first two and just mix it up a bit?

Have you given her a pumice chew toy? Maybe she is craving stone to grind her teeth... I like lava bites, they get used up before they are peed on like bigger blocks.

Also when you get hay at the store double check the exp date. Ive gotten expired hay before, and my chins wont eat older hay either. If it has a 2 year shelf date it's newer hay.

Hope you find something she finds tasty!

She has a blue lava ledge that she has only really nibbled on around the edges. She has a pumice stone shes chewed a little on since her opp. Just ordered a bigger one tho. Shes also git this big wood thing that she has chewed on a kot :)

Back