can chins tell when you're upset?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brittanyydevan

rubys mom
i was like balling my eyes out last night in my bed next to rubys cage, and she started making this weird noise and staring up at me. did she know i was upset? idk what she was doing.

Most likely you were scaring her. If you were bawling your eyes out, then you were probably making weird noises and she was barking because you scared her.

I remember reading somewhere that Chins have very similiar hearing to humans. Perhaps she was trying to understand why you were making those sounds.

i know that other animals can detect various pheromones that we give off when we are experiencing various emotions. like for instance, the same pheromone is released by us when we are both scared and angry (that's why many people get bit by dogs when scared of said dog).

not sure if chins would detect these pheromones quite the same way, but i'd tend to agree with the others that said your crying was probably scaring your chin, and she was making noise in response to that.

imo, absolutly. They can tell when your upset or not. The thing its, its in their nature to be scared of most everything. So anything loud, sudden, or unfrimillar will probably scare them. Their are a million times when even a sudden deep breath and my two younger chins will freak.

You might have scared her, but mine definitely know when I'm upset. They'll do every trick in the book until I laugh and then they'll repeat the trick that works a few times to make sure I'm better. The only exception to that rule is Maia. She makes the "upset Mommy" noise, as I call it. She makes the exact same noise if I separate her from her daughter and will continue to make it until I put them back together.

I think they can.

When my partner went into hospital unexpectedly Che came and spent the whole day asleep in the corner nearest to where I sit, his cage is on a diagonal from my side of the sofa so he was right next to me. He had never slept there before. He slept there for the first couple of days until I knew what the situation was with my partner and was feeling better. I was worried and upset but no crying so he wasn't reacting to that.

That probably seems daft to those reading that but at the time it was like he was trying to comfort or support me lol

Nova scienceNOW (that's how they spell it) is on Pbs and the current episode is "How smart are animals?" The descriptions reads "Whether animals have the same feelings as humans." I have not been home at the right time to watch it, maybe some else can and let me know if it's good.

I think animals can tell when your upset or sick. Whe i am having a bad day (with my diabeties) my chinnies come sit by the edge of the cage and groom and groom me.

None of my animals have ever seemed to act different or acknowledge when I'm sick or upset, even bawling.

I have heard this thing about animals reacting to your moods--especially with medical situations, but mainly with dogs and I've never owned a dog. Only cats and various rodents. Honestly--I don't think they ever gave a flying butt about how I'm feeling as long as I fed and pet them. Am I just surrounded by insensitive animals or what?

Back