Can chins reach through CN cage bars?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dani3264

Hi all... I have tried a search for this topic but did not come up with anything so I do apologize if it has been covered somewhere...

I am an expecting chin mother :) and am preparing my CN cage. I happened to wonder if they are able to reach or bite or chew things that are outside of the bars. Reason being, I was thinking of using the top for extra supplies or whatever. I was planning on keeping it bare, thinking that it would be fair game, but the more I look and thought about it, not sure if they would be able to grab between bars to chew.

Thoughts...??

Thanks much,

Danielle

I have some FN cages they can reach through this cage. In fact, their tails sometimes are in between the bars. My husband did put 1/2" x 1" wire on the sides of the FN. I am not sure the spacing on CN cages so someone else can help you there.

I have found with chinchillas, if there is a question, assume they can do it because they are smart and resourceful.

My chinchillas can still reach through and pull things through their bars no matter how close if they can fit a paw through they are going to pull things in... Silly critters

Im not positive about CN cages, but i can say for sure that yes, they can reach through FN bars and drag stuff into the cage or chew on anything they can reach. I too keep supplies on the top of the cage. You either need to make sure they cant reach the roof of the cage form the inside to grab at anything, or maybe put a layer of safe wood over the top, so if they do its not a big problem.

I've got two CN cages, one for each chin.

One of them has a pile of all my fleece on top... The other has nothing. One chin will obsess over anything that's on top while the other won't even bother(since it's just fleece he doesn't care).

If you think your chin may chew it, perhaps put a layer of fleece down before the supplies?

Thanks for the replies...I was thinking a layer of wood also, but fleece is a good idea too. Hopefully, since the will have fleece in the cage, they wont care about it being on top either :) But will keep a close eye to be sure!!

Danielle

I have a CN type cage and yes they will grab stuff outside the cage if it is close enough. One of my chins has actually figured out how to climb a little ways from the top shelf to the top of the cage and will hang there for a few seconds.

I have a FN. I keep a thin sheet on the top of it and roll a tiny corner down to keep light out when my little guy is sleeping. my chin was able to pull the tag oh it into his cage and shred it to bits.

Very resourceful!
Never cease to surprise me,

Lol

I keep a large plastic storage container on top of my CN and they haven't been able to chew that, but smaller items, like wood toys and even the snapware container I keep their food in, they have been able to nibble on through the bars.

Back