Can bonded pairs occasionally scuffle?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReneeM

I heard grunting from my girl's cage last night. I went to investigate and Marika would not let her mother (Mira) near the food dish. She was grunting at her. Mira tried to approach again and Marika stood up. The girls got into what I would call a boxing match.

I'm not sure what instigated it, but the girl's had dumped their food dish during the day while I was at school, it was empty when I went to fill it. I assumed this was the reason.

Everything seems fine this morning, they are sleeping together.

I was debating cutting Marika's whiskers back. She chews Mira's whiskers off. She has been doing this since she was 8 weeks old. She seems to be the dominate chin. She will steal things from her mom from time to time as well. She is a little brat.

Is something like this a sign to separate? I've never them squabble like this before.

it's always a good idea to have doubles for food and water in the cage when you have two or more chins. two food dishes, two hay containers, and two water bottles. fighting over food is not a good sign, and i would keep a close eye on them. you may have to separate them.

Thank you for the info. I will pick up another food dish.

I really hope I don't have separate.

I always have 2 or more dishes in my group cages to help provent that. Just watch for any pulled hair or other signs of fighting. I just had to seporate a pair of males that had been together for 5 yrs.

I always kept two dishes of everything in my boys' cage. They lived together their whole lives but started to do the same thing. It even got down to treats, where one would eat his own treat really fast just to steal the other guys' treat. Eventually it turned into the more timid one staying in the corner and out of the dominant's way. Which made him want to pick fights even more. I separated them overnight and they got back together fine the next day. About two weeks after that, they fought again and had to be separate indefinitely. I've also tried separating them while they were eating... (I have a CN 142 so putting the ramp up, I could keep top apart from bottom... this seemed to help to make sure everyone got to eat (also worked for dust baths).

All in all... Keep a very close eye on them!!! Even bonded pairs can turn on each other.

I wanted to thank everyone for your help! My girls seem to be back to normal, but I am still keeping an eye on them. The second food dish seemed to make a big difference, although they did try to rip it off of the cage :p

They are snuggling like nothing ever happened.

Latest posts

Back