Can anyone recommend a non-leaking water bottle?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the past couple of months I have gone through countless water bottles and cannot find one that doesn't leak. It's very frustrating because I have to change his cage everyday or the fleece liner is soaked under the water bottle area and I really don't have enough fleece to do that.

i use the glass/stainless steel living world and so far has had no problem with it

I have a Super Pet glass bottle. It has to be filled full, clean and at the right angle to not leak. It's the one that has the little yellow duck floating in it. I actually have 3 of them, 2 smaller ones and a big one. The small ones have rubber gaskets in them that have to be clean and in place to not leak as well.

With the glass bottles you have to fill the bottles completely to the top every time so a it creates a vacuum. Also make sure it is tilted in the right way - if not it will leak

I have used the petco water bottle for years with no leakage. I also have the glass water bottle and it tends to leak a lot. I have a marble slab underneath it and the water leaks onto there.

I'm a fan of Lixit glass bottles, 8 oz. I get them in the bird section of Petsmart. I find that if you leave a little bubble of air at the top of them, it helps the vacuum to form properly. Fill it up, leave about 1/2" of space, flip it over and put it on the cage. Then tap the ball in the spigot once or twice to get it started, and it will never leak. Been doing that for 7 years with no problems.

Thank you this is extremely helpful. I will look into all of these tonight when I get he from work.

If you and your chin are up to it, try out the no-drip valve bottles, has a little stick that chin can flick with tongue to get a stream of water (small learning curve, all my chins have picked it up, but I have heard of others struggling). I believe mine are made by Lixit, with a flip top, so no water pressure required (as it gets low the water doesn't slow down) and easier to clean.

the problem with the valve type bottles is that the bottles themselves are made of plastic and this can lead to chins chewing them if there is no guard between bottle and cage. plastic is also not easily sanitized like a glass bottle.

i use the superpet glass bottles. only issue i ever had was one leaked when the rubber washer in the nozzle cap got kinked up and was out of place. now i just check before i screw the nozzle cap back on, no problems at all. fill them up pretty full (i find to the middle of the bottle neck is good enough) and flip them over quickly after screwing the nozzle cap back on, then hang on the cage. tap nozzle once or twice to ensure proper water flow. works for me.

I didnt have good luck with any of the glass water bottles I bought but I buy the Lixit Wide Mouth ones from Drs Foster and Smith and I have had good luck with them.

U wouldn't want to use a bowl for containing water for chins.
1. It can get soiled easily with all the flinging poops and whatever else they like to throw around.
2. It can spill easily, meaning if it spilt in the middle of the night, they would be without water untilmu find out.
3.they can get themselves wet which could lead to pneumonia.

So please stick to a water bottle.

The valve bottles with flip tops I have found to be the best. I use 2 edstrom water buddies. I recently found they stoped making them. Lixit has a similar one that has great reviews. Check amazon. As for the sheild guards, flower town chinchilla sells them for $7 or $8.

I know this is an old post, but I didn't want to start a new one on the same topic. I have a Super Pet glass water bottle for Buddha, but one day, I noticed him licking at it for a while, so I checked it and sure enough, no water would come out. I got it working, then he drank for a long time and I felt bad that he had gone for a bit without water. I went to PetSmart yesterday and got two of the Lixit flip-top water bottles. I've seen him drink from at least one of them, but I'm not sure if he's got the hang of it yet. I checked it with my finger and it definitely works - I'm just not sure if he knows how to work it. I put the Super Pet bottle back up, so now he has three water bottles, so he should be fine, but I was just wondering if anyone has had success with these Lixit water bottles long-term? They don't leak, which is nice - the Super Pet got low pretty quick, but I think it's because half of it leaked out. I'm just worried about him getting enough water.

I only use the Lixit valve bottles (or the nivek ones here: http://www.bunnyrabbit.com/price/waterbottle.htm ). Mark the water levels with a dry erase marker or piece of tape and give him some time to figure it out. If he doesn't get water out of any of them, take a piece of apple and smudge just a little bit of the juice on the valve stem. He'll probably get interested enough in it to figure out how to drink.

Back