Can anyone identify this noise?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinstonsMam

Short video -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scmO3ZEIt1U

It's probably just barking, but I've never heard a bark as squeaky as this before.

Winston sometimes makes this noise in his sleep, and I always go to make sure he's okay. I went to check him today while he was doing it and found he was awake. He's done it 7-8 times within the last 15 minutes, but I'm not sure what it means or what's causing it. He's not normally a vocal chin.

Is anyone able to enlighten me?

Thank you :)

Your chinchilla is "calling" This is a sound that they make when they hear something they do not recognize and feel the need to warn the herd (you). You probably don't even notice what is causing his need to call; it could be anything. He'll settle down once he gets used to whatever it is.

My chin, Echo, used to make that noise, but doesn't anymore. The first time we heard it we thought he was choking on something! Every time he did it we would check on him to see what was wrong and he would just look at us (sometimes, half asleep). We came to interpret it as a lonely calling to his "real family" since he did it mostly when he was younger (he's a little over 2 years old now).

We couldn't pin point anything in particular that was setting him off (no noises or anything scary around). He was really young and timid when we first got him and it was clear he wasn't sure about us humans:) Finally, after 2 years, he's finally coming around, but is still always on guard. I don't think he, or his mom, were handled very much or exposed to positive human interaction. Anyway, he's bonded to us now, and we haven't heard him make that noise in the last 6-12 months.

When I got Julio, I heard the squeak toy noise a few times.
I agree with the others - I think it is a "calling noise"

The first time Julio made this sound was during his first night here.
I thought he was hurt or scared, but when I checked on him, he just gave me a dumb look.
He did it again at night a few days later. Same thing - I checked on him again to see he was okay, and nothing seemed to be wrong. I live in NYC so there's always the possibility he heard something outside.

Julio came from a breeder, and the previous owner I adopted him from really truly loved him a lot. So he has never had a traumatic life.

The second time he did it was when he was asleep about 4 months later. He was passed out asleep though...maybe a dream?

Last edited:
My friends chinchillas used to make that noise when they first moved in. It stopped after few days. I think it was just stress associated with moving homes etc. My Lucy makes this noise in her sleep sometimes. I think it's just bad dreams though. I heard some chins make this noise for attention as well. :)

That is more than likely cooing. My chinchilla does it when my room is a temperature he really enjoys (ex. 67 F'). It just means that he is really happy.

Identify Noise

My research shows that it is what is considered "Nyak Nyak" noise. It is only made by isolated males. My single chin is a male and made that noise a couple times the first month I had him. My research says it is not yet understood why they make this noise, but it is perhaps a way for them to announce their presence or arousal.

In my opinion, I think my chin was in a new place and was calling out to see if any other chins were around.

I am curious, is he the only chin you have?
How long has he been in your family?

Back