Calcium and Vitamin C supplements?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should mention that my chins' diet is Mazuri Chinchilla Feed and daily timothy hay. They also get alfalfa/timothy cubes and one shredded wheat biscuit per day (small, not sugar-covered). With the exception of the timothy hay, this has been their diet for years as far as I know (they belonged to a friend for a while before they came to me).

I did a tooth check on them and noticed that one had whitish-yellowish teeth, and a couple others had yellowish, with only one having orangey teeth. I'm reading up on that and I'm seeing that this could be an indication of a calcium deficiency, so I'm looking for ways to gently add calcium and/or vitamin C to their diet so as to prevent (or further any present) issues.

I'm planning on a trip to the exotic pet vet once it's cool enough for them to survive an almost hour car ride (it's been in the 90s and 100s lately), and I'm making a list of things I'd like her to check out.

Crushed rose hips are a good source of Vit c, a few pieces a day as a treat, you can add some loose alfalfa for calcium, just add it slowly to the diet, chins will sometimes gorge on it and it can cause loose poo.

Crushed rose hips are a good source of Vit c, a few pieces a day as a treat, you can add some loose alfalfa for calcium, just add it slowly to the diet, chins will sometimes gorge on it and it can cause loose poo.

Thank you Dawn! Is there a favorite place where people are getting rose hips, or can I get some organic rose hips off Amazon? I usually get my herbs there, but since I'm newish to feeding rose hips to chins, I would like to be careful. Thx!

Get the crushed ones, the whole ones have the fur in them that puts some chins off. As long as they are organic its ok where you get them from.

They call them cut so I will assume they are crushed and the fur and seeds are gone, they would work. You can't overdose Vit C, any excess is excreted out the urine, I give mine a pinch a day.

Latest posts

Back