Cages

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheuaapu

Do you have any cage recommendations to accommodate 1 or 2 chins? I'm not sure what to be looking for..m:hmm:

I think most on here prefer the CritterNation or the FerretNation if you can afford it. If not, some things to keep in mind:

No wire ledges
No wire ramps
No plastic shelves
No plastic ramps
Be weary of plastic bases
The bigger the better
For two adult chins no less than 2'x2'x2' dimensions
For kits be sure they can't get through the bars

THOSE are the basics!

The Quality Cage Company as well as Martins make okay cages...I think AZchins on here also makes cages but don't hold me to it!

specifically I'd recommend a ferret nation 142 if you can find it. the newer version, the 182 I believe, that do not require screwing together are more wobbly when you move them, or at least that has been my experience. The 142s are built really strong and can handle being wheeled around even on carpet without incident. That is a really great feature considering how often the whole unit should be moved in order to be vacuumed around thoroughly. I usually find them used so they are cheaper too.

I think most people prefer the FN over QC because the QC cages are quite industrial looking, and the FNs could be said to look more like "furniture".

I have 2 Quality Cage Townhomes, and I absolutely love them. I love my QCs because they're sturdy, secure (there's no way the chins are strong enough to open the spring locks), and easy to clean. Also, if you ever need to move the QC cage will fold flat for easy transport.

I would not recommend Martins cages (no offense to anyone who has them). My brother used to have one for his chin (now my chin), and it just seemed flimsy, and it was also a pain to clean because the entire cage had to be lifted out from the pan to clean it. Because of the size of the doors, and the layout of the cage it was also not easy to get inside the cage to clean or even to grab Max. Also, the cage was NOT easy to transport, since it didn't fold flat.

Yes, that one. I asked them to make it for me with 2 doors though, which they didn't have a problem with (just call them, they are super nice). They used to offer the 2 door Townhome on the website, but it looks like it's not on there anymore. I wanted 2 doors because that way I could sort of block the door with my body while I was doing something in the cage, and not have any chins escape.

Here are some posts with pics of my cages, so you can see what the Townhome looks like with 2 doors:
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=161889&postcount=22

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=245587&postcount=1

If you go with the QC, definitely get the stand (you have to order it separately). Makes it so easy to move the cage around, and easy to remove the slide out pan. My oldest QC cage is about 5 years old now, and still going strong...wonderful cages!

i would definitely say FN
i don't believe you'll find a 142. unless someone in your area is selling one via craigslist or something.
they stopped making the 142.
but the FN's are easy to clean, tons of fun to decorate, and all 4 doors open up so it makes cleaning a breeze and being able to spend some time with your chin while the doors are open incase you can't do a playtime.
and if the chins were to ever not get along. all you have to do is cover the hole and then you have 2 separate cages.

Right now I'm kind of leaning towards the QC. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

I bought the Prevue Hendryx 495 cage from petsmart. It comes with a metal grille bottom and a plastic tray. I am worry about the metal wire grille base will hurt my Chin. so I use the plastic tray as base. Will the chin bite through the plastic base?

I'm not familiar with the type of plastic on this particular cage BUT, when they do chew the bases it's not an over night thing generally. So you'll have warning. If you see him chewing it put the grille back in. Likewise, there are places in that cage for a chin to get off the wire. Not sure on the spacing of the grille but if the spacing is good it won't hurt to leave it in.

Back