Cages, wheels, and running on wheels to escape

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shenanigans

So a couple things I've noticed since getting my two new boys.
#1 I was spoiled by the ferret nation with my first chin and I'm not grateful enough for the critter nation the boys came with. It's a perfectly good cage but the close bar spacing is getting to be a pain in the neck for moving things. I had to pull Kyle in to help me pry some bars apart a few times. I do not recommend the silver surfer wheel and the critter nation together if you like rearranging cages- after the first move from the door to the side of the cage it's staying. I'm as spoiled as my boys are apparently- I would hate those cages with the tiny doors.
#2 the silver surfer is a lot smaller of a running surface than the chin spin. I don't know if it makes any difference since my cages give the wheels plenty of room and the chins don't seem to mind, but the chin spin has a lot wider of a track? rim? I cant think of a good word right now. I'm pretty sure the silver surfer is quieter but the CN it's in rattles more- it's the newer kind where it snaps together instead of bolting. Also the snap together kind seems to have more bars just next to each other for crap to get in between and is a warmer darker gray than my hardware put together FN.
#3 Yuki would always go run on his wheel when something when bump in the night-we joked about how he thought he was running away, but now Joe's doing wheel runs to get away from his eye meds (He's doing much better by the way) Do more chins do this? I can put my hand next to the wheel and it takes them a minute of running and looking at my hand to realize they arent getting away like they thought. It is conveniently blocking three sides and the bottom- just have to bloke one side and the top.

My Roxie runs on her wheel to 'escape me' it's always good for a laugh.

Chin Spin vs Silver Surfer size considerations

The Chin Spin has a running surface 6¼” wide while the Silver Surfer's is 4". The Surfer is in general a smaller wheel with a diameter of 14", and may not be suitable for the largest of chins due to both of these size considerations. I think overall the Surfer is just as good of a purchase as the Chin Spin for most owners.

Latest posts

Back