Cagemates fighting, or just communicating?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemma

So I've had three chinchillas (two females one male). Seperated him. Now, the two girls who have been together since their previous owner - are now fighting? I understand their now comfortable with the environment, and I'm experiencing their noises for the first time, so I'm abit confused.

But as I read before, a loud 'screech' means they've been hurt. Sometimes I hear something like a screech, or maybe a bark. I think Gemma is becoming very selfish and wants more room to herself because she now all of a sudden is taking over the dust bath and barks if anyone or Aleea comes near it. Also if Aleea goes near I guess the wood house in the cage, Gemma now barks and pushes her away. Then when Aleea goes away Gemma will jump on her and it looks like a cute cuddle - so this is what makes me so confused.
But when Aleea screetches I can't see if Gemma bit her or not. I watched the two of them all night and now I'm scared one of them is going to be hurt. Do chins get random attitudes with eachother even though they've gotten along for so long? I kind of know the barking sound because I heard Gemma bark at my boyfriend's cat once, however this new sound is more of a shrill. Its so loud I run to the cage and look to see if their ok. It messes with my head.

This behavior has been going on for about a week now, and I'm thinking Gemma is starting to be independant. Are my concerns just me being neurotic or on point?

FYI I never had the chance to witness Gemma biting Aleea, shes just extremely pushy and I've seen her bark at her, thats all.

You might want to get prepared to seperate them, just in case. Even chins who live together for years can start fighting with eachother. I don't know how big your cage is, but with my mom and daughter duo, I had to get two dust baths and two wooden houses. They were always trying to get into the dust bath bowl together and I could tell it annoyed them. They are much better with their own dust baths.

I don't know what other more experienced members will say, but I would keep a very close eye on them and be prepared to seperate them if the behavior gets worse. You don't want to chance one of them getting hurt.

Agreed, keep a close eye on them. Another thing you may want to watch for is fighting over or hogging the food and water. Gemma may be keeping Aleea from eating and drinking if she is already keeping her from other things.

I have a pair and I have 2 of everything. 2 bowls, 2 water bottles, 2 dust baths. Like the other have mentioned, they can turn on each other at any time and with my girls I noticed right away they didn't like sharing those things. They have a large wodden house they both share but everything else I could tell they would get annoyed if they had to share. So keep a close eye on them, try to have 2 of everything and be prepared to separate if necessary. Good luck!

Back