cagemate

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyperzuzik

Hi, I have a male and soon we will have at home a female cagemate for him. Can they be together in the same cage or should I separate them until the female is old enough?

Unless you're very knowledgeable and prepared for kits, I'd keep them separated at all times and to not even let them have play time with each other. I've heard they are able to mate through the bars on occasion as well. Though its up to you to listen to me or not.

You can't keep most males and females together all the time. They'll have back to back litters as soon as she's capable. You'll ruin the health of your female. Usually only older pairs that have slowed down in breeding are left together through a litter or in run breeding setups the male is left and the female cages are blocked off as necessary. So having male/female cagemates doesn't work. The male will be alone for several months while the female raises a litter and recovers.

they can not be together like they said. I made that mistake and now have three more chins (total of 5) Kits are a lot of work and there are a lot of lethal hazards that arnt all to obvious for them.

Since the kits i had to separate my male and female. My male gets so worked up now when he sees her that he starts having seizures and his heart acts up badly. So i have to make sure that he can never see her again. :(

unless your fully prepared, do not put a male and female together.

they have even been known to mate through cage bars when the cages are next to each other if they are close enough.

Latest posts

Back