cage suggestions?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JensAwesome

Okay, this is not for me, I prefer the FN cage by far. However, I was speaking to someone who is selling their CN cage (single level) because they want a cage with a wire bottom. I believe it is for cleaning purposes. They don't want a huge cage, so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on a good wire bottom cage no bigger than the single level of FN?
Was hoping one that can be found on Amazon, since a lot of other sites won't ship to Hawaii. Thanks!

Two tests for acceptable wire floors: 1) make sure the wires are thick and smooth enough that you will not hurt yourself jumping on it as high as you can with bare feet. This will make sure the wire does not bruise the feet causing a condition known as bumblefoot. 2) make sure that foot-sized items like jellybeans do not fall through as that is what might happen with a running chinchilla causing injury to the foot, ankle, or legs. I found some old refrigerators have thick enough wires on their shelves and then I add hardware cloth under it to stop feet from falling through. Powder-coat enamel shelves have been made with such thick and close-together wires but I have been looking for a few years now and not found them on sale anymore (just thin and widely-spaced wires). Another option is to have angled shelves and floor so everything rolls or flows to a central drain (into a bucket)

I know about wire floors, don't care much for them myself. Just wondering if anyone knew for sure of any decent wire bottom cages. Another chin owner asked me, and I am just biased about them anyways, so can't give her advice.

I'm going to be getting mine from AZChins on here, and her's are wire bottom and she has different sizes. :)

Back