Cage question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillathechinchilla

Hey guys, really quick question.
I recently purchased a larger, used cage for my chin, in great condition but it was previously used by ferrets. I disinfected it with vinegar, really scrubbed it down & added custom ledges and everything.

What is the best way to get my chi to adjust to her new cage??

Thanks
Soph & chin.

Put her in it. She will get used to it. There is really no need to coach her through it. When I moved flea to his new cage, I put his old house in so that he had somewhere familiar, but he was too busy exploring to care.

By the way, vinegar is not generally regarded as a disinfectant. It is great for cleaning (especially in the chin cage because it neutralizes the ammonia from urine), but its disinfectant qualities are debatable at best. I like to clean my cage with alcohol or peroxide every couple of months to get a disinfectant clean. Alcohol dries in air and peroxide will neutralize in the sun.

Last edited:
I just threw my chin in her new cage with all her old stuff, she was fine. A little stressed, but it helped to have her old things in it that she recognized.

I totally agree with GorillaJTA, I would wash it down with something more than water/vinegar. I use the water/vinegar solution on her ledges and pull out pan every few days, but if I was washing a used cage, I would use something stronger.

Back