Cage Placement Opinion

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4724

Got my first chinchilla yesterday and have his cage on the floor against a wall in my dining room area. I've read that they prefer to be up higher so that you don't have to tower over them when approaching the cage, so I am considering putting the cage on a coffee table(a sturdy one of course) so it's a few feet off the ground. On the other hand I like the idea of the cage being on the ground so that if he's out playing he can have the option to run back into his cage if he wants to. Was wondering what a few experienced chinchilla owners might have to say about it. What do your pets prefer? Thanks.

I don't use the area immediately around Flea's cage as a play area because I don't want to tempt him to try to go play any time I open the cage. Plus, playtime becomes playtime, not "go in and out and take a nap and maybe wander back out over an hour" time so I don't have to watch him as long.

As for other considerations, make sure it is not being blown on by a air vent or leaky window. Make sure it is not in the heat drift from the kitchen (found that out when I put Flea's cage on the other side of the kitchen hand-through and the temperature would get really warm when I cooked.

I have my cages in their play area. It is convenient. Also the FN cages are built to be a foot or two off the ground. So they are up off the floor some.

To let them out, i just sit on one knee, and the other one level with their cage. That way if they want to get out they have to run down my legs. Helped them get a little more used to me at first.

The cage comes with ladders that i had taken out. I got a fleece cover for one to make it safe, and i set that down from the floor to the cage when it is time to go back. And once the go back in the cage they get their treat.

Most of my chins got used to both routines.

I have noticed that my chinchillas don't really like being at floor level. I have 2 cages that are. I think it is because what they see at that level is nothing but feet coming their way. You could keep the cage on the coffee table most of the time and set it on the floor during playtime.

I like mine off the floor where it's easy easy to interact withh them. My back would hurt all the time if I had to bend down to talk to them and play with them. I think the table is a great idea!

I agree, I hated having the critter nation cage on the ground when I first got it (i bought it used without a stand), and once I got a little stand for it, it only lifted it up about a foot or so, but chins are so much happier this way! :)

Back