Cage opinions? (picture)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeoMonster

Hey guys.

I've been stalking craigslist for a couple of months looking for a ferret nation for Leo for over the summer. I found one and the woman just sent me a picture.

Could you guys tell me if it looks like its in good shape or not. I've never actually seen one in person so I would like your opinions.

ferretw.jpg

EDIT: Sorry guys, I resized the picture once I saw it was gigantic!

Last edited:
Saffron: Sorry! you probably clicked the thread as I was editing because the picture was huge. Should be fixed!

It looks pretty good to me. The condition of the shelf and ladder aren't any concern, because you won't be needing those (unless you plan on covering them with fleece... and if so, they'll be under the fleece and inaccessible). From what I can tell, the pan looks alright, no huge white urine marks on it or anything. I personally use bass pans for my FN's so if you're the same way, that wouldn't be a concern for you either.

As for the rest of the cage - the coating on the cage makes it so that you can literally hose down the cage (ok, maybe not in 20 degree weather) and scrub and everything will come off. That's what I like so much about the FN cages, they are easy to clean and sanitize because it's not bare metal.

Alright, although I literally just found a two story ferret nation cage that got posted today. I'm debating between a one story and a two story. Considering I only have 1 chinchilla, I'm not sure if a two story is necessary.

I'd personally go with the two-story if you can afford it. It may not be "necessary" per se, but I know for us, we like to spoil our chins, and there's more room to do so with a two-story.

Yeah I'd be more fond of the 2 story, Its just whether or not I have the room and the money for one. I did just get a new job.....lolol.

How much have you guys seen a 2 story sell for on craigslist? Like whats "reasonable"? The person whose selling it wants people to make offers on it. I have no idea what it would be worth if they e-mail me back and say they still have it.

How much have you guys seen a 2 story sell for on craigslist? Like whats "reasonable"? The person whose selling it wants people to make offers on it. I have no idea what it would be worth if they e-mail me back and say they still have it.

I've paid $100-$150 used. Personally I wouldn't go any higher for a used one.

I paid 150 for my 2 story on Craigslist. Cheapest I ever saw one. Mine was dirty as all heck. Took 7 hours to clean it and all the shelves and pans were unusable. That one looks to be in good condition! I'd ask to pay 150 for the 2 story maybe?

That is not the two story. She's selling that one as a one story. She's also selling an add on as well so I'm assuming thats the add on.

The two story is a different person.

This is it, I know the picture is tiny.

5La5Fa5M73L83Ja3p5c1oaf23f89d36961466.jpg

That one doesn't have the storage shelf on the bottom. Which is weird...

They make FN's in one stories, it looks like it has the add-on part on the top of it making it a 2 story, she just took a picture of the bottom.

Well, if you have room for the one story... the two story is just taller... doesn't take up any more floor space.

I paid $100 for one of my 2-storys (they even threw in a chin for free, and all I wanted was the cage! heck all that was LISTED was the cage - when I went to get it, they handed me a chin as well. Odd. Anyway.....). I would probably pay up to $125 for a 2-story on craigslist that isn't in too bad shape.... since I know I will be buying bass pans and all, that adds to the cost, I don't want to end up paying too much for the used cage itself.

i have two FN 142's for both of my chins.
each have their own.
and they love how much room they have to run around.
and i love decorating it for them. lol
if you can afford to buy the two story i'd go with it.
i spent $80 for one of mine.
and then the other i spent $120 for the cage and my male chinchilla.

The pan that comes with it is shallow, chewable plastic, while a Bass Pan is metal and 2-3 inches deep. If you're going with shavings, go with the Bass Pans. They really control the mess well.

I bought one of my FN's on CL for $150. I bought the other two new for a ridiculous amount that isn't even worth mentioning. :))

I bought my 2 story FN for $100 I think. I would get the 2 story because you never know when you will add another chin and then you can split the cage into 2 like I did, lol

The Bass Pans are metal. They're probably 2 inches deep, they replace the plastic pans that the cage comes with. Bass sells both the full pan and the pan with the cutout - both our FN's have bass pans. The plastic pans that come with the cage are so shallow that shavings end up everywhere. I fill the bass pans pretty full with shavings, so I still end up with them around the cage a little, but they hold in considerably more than the plastic ones do. And, no worries about the chins chewing them.

Here's a link to the page - http://bassequipment.com/Cages/Ferret+Pans/default.aspx - the last time I ordered, I want to say for two pans and shipping, it came out to around $60-70.

Latest posts

Back