Cage litter

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachelxx

Hi all, hope you can help :)

Just a question about litter...
I have had pet rats for a long time now and their sensitive respiratory system means i'm very careful about litter and bedding. Currently, we use a cat litter that is recycled, 100% paper based, dust free and perfume free. It's soft on their feet too! So when we got chinchillas it seemed natural to use the same bedding for them.
However, recently we had something new recommended to us. It will work out at around a third of the price and and we can get it in bulk (85 litres as apposed to 25 litres) which means it will last us a lot longer. I know that it's safe for rats, but wanted to ask the experts about using it for the chinchillas. I've pasted this from the suppliers site:
-Megazorb Bedding is a horse and general animal bedding made from virgin wood pulp. It is ultra absorbent, 10 x more absorbent than straw and 4 x more absorbent than shavings. Being dried at 500ºC Megazorb is dust-free and sterile as mould, spores and bacteria are destroyed. Megazorb absorbs odours, its biodegradable therefore environmentally friendly.
I'd really appreciate your opinions! Thanks.

The only problem I can think of with that is what kind of wood it is. Many chins nibble and eat their wood shavings so buying shavings from a safe wood is best.

Most people use pine or aspen (pine is usually cheaper).

Latest posts

Back