Cage Emergencies!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherie18

Hey guys, so I have a huge cage the dimensions are 36W inched by 24D inches & I have a question? I was on Bass equipment looking at urine guards & I need some help deciding on what to get?

The urine guards?
The metal pan?(the one I currently have is plastic & not very good)
If I get the Metal pan I Need to know which one I should get?
Theres one that is
24"x36"x1 1/2"
The other is
24 1/2"x36 1/2"x2"
Or should I get both?:hair: here is the website if you need to look at them.

http://www.bassequipment.com/Cages/Metal+Pans/default.aspx
I'm gonna be replacing her bedding with felt because it's gonna be cheaper & easier for me as well.

Also I'm gonna have to add more shelves & ramps, I can't find out how much it costs @ Lowes or home depot to get wood? Does anyone know?
& where can I find the anchors for the shelves & ledges.

Thanks for any help!!!

Can't help you out on the pan. I have no idea. If you know the cage manufacturer someone with the same cage might be able to help you out.

The wood is pretty inexpensive. I bought mine from a local lumber yard, versus HD or Lowes, and think I paid 9 dollars for a 1x8 pine board that was 12 feet long. Their 6 foot version was 6 bucks. I expect HD and Lowes to be similarly priced, if not less expensive. Poplar is another option, but that one usually runs a little bit more money is a little bit harder wood, making it slower to cut and harder to drill.

If I recall, felt isn't a terribly good choice for cage lining. It's not terribly absorbent and its not chinchilla safe. You should really look into fleece.

The anchors (the bolts you're looking for are Hanger Bolts, then you want Bumper Washers, and Wing Nuts) can be found at either Home Depot or Lowes. I got some from both places, as well as another local establishment. I paid anywhere from 50 cents to 75 cents per set (1 nut, 1 bolt, 1 washer) depending on the size used. Most people used the quarter inchers. I used some 1/4", some 10/24s and some 8/24s, depending on what I could find. All of the above seem to work just fine to anchor my shelves though.

I can help with pan dimensions IF you tell me...is the pan going in the cage or is the cage going in the pan?

As for wood, pretty inexpensive. You can get the wood (and have it cut to size) at lowes. You need untreated kiln dried pine. When you go, be sure you know how many ledges you want AND how many attachments you want (for instance, if you want 3 ledges and you want 3 attachments each you'll need 9 attachments)

Most people on here, myself included, use hanger bolts. You'll want to ask for hanger bolts, fender washers and wing nuts. I use 1/4" hanger bolts, 1/2" wing nuts and 1 1/2" fender washers with a 1/4 center hole. Hope that helps!

Iv bought a good bit of poplar wood at my nearby lowes. The selection unfortionitly, sucks. The peices i got for my hut where about 4inchs wide, a few feet long, 1/2 inch think. about $4 or so a sheet. :/

The dimentions you mentioned are the same for a FN cage, so thats what im assuming. Their bars are 1 inch apart. So if youre useing washers its a good idea to get 1.5 inchs+. The 1inch ones will barly grip the bars and not give much support.

I can help with pan dimensions IF you tell me...is the pan going in the cage or is the cage going in the pan?

As for wood, pretty inexpensive. You can get the wood (and have it cut to size) at lowes. You need untreated kiln dried pine. When you go, be sure you know how many ledges you want AND how many attachments you want (for instance, if you want 3 ledges and you want 3 attachments each you'll need 9 attachments)

Most people on here, myself included, use hanger bolts. You'll want to ask for hanger bolts, fender washers and wing nuts. I use 1/4" hanger bolts, 1/2" wing nuts and 1 1/2" fender washers with a 1/4 center hole. Hope that helps!

Thank you so much, I went to home depot today & they guy acted like I was crazy and didn't know what I was talking about so if I take the measurments of each shelve I want they will do that? That would be awesome!!

Do you know about how much it costs for the shelving & everything?

& the pans are to go inside the cage to put the fleece on!

Back