Cage decisions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pikaboochilla

Hi, my first post here. I've had my chinchilla for about four months and the cage that I adopted him with is a wide rabbit cage. I'm trying to choose between two other cages that I already have and want opinions. One is a three feet tall and wide by about 18 inches and it's painted metal. Formally used by my rat years ago and sat in a shed for years. It's not in great shape so when I found one new at a Yardsale I picked it up. It's three-four feet tall and two feet by two feet. It has a plastic base and plastic shelves. I started making fleece liners/pockets to cover the plastic. So may question is...will this cage be large enough? I'm hand sewing the fleece and using binder rings where I can, but I don't want to spend a month on a project if the cage is too small. Thanks for any suggestions.

That sounds perfect to me! That is about the size that my chin is in, and he loves it. I think the fleece covering for the plastic shelves will be a good idea. Sounds like you're doing great! :)

That's good to hear. So now I have more questions/ideas. I set up a fleece cover for the base of the cage that wraps the plastic bottom. Would an additional fleece liner that is easier to remove and wash be a good idea? Or I could do a glass baking pan with wood chips for half the cage floor and do the other half in fleece or ceramic tile? What would be better?

I highly recommend a removable fleece liner. My little guy does not understand piddling in the same spot nor piddling in a dish with pine chips. After about 3 days the fleece starts to smell and needs to be changed (in my experience). Everyone has different success with potty training, Gizmo is just stubborn.

Glad you are covering up all the plastic ledges! Best of luck!

~Michelle

I guess it's a good thing that I bought too much fleece. Lol. I have plenty for making extra pieces. I might try the pan as well since he's used to wood chips, maybe he'll take to it. Either way at least I feel prepared for what I can expect when I switch his cages. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back