Cage Chewing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inzeos

One of our chins lately has been really going at it in regards to chewing the bars of her cage and the metal edges of her pans.

She has plenty of chew toys and almost 8' worth of KD wooden ledges and huts.

We recently moved her into the top half of an FN-142; however, that as over a month ago.

None of the others chins ever seem interested in chewing the metals. Wondering if their might be something I'm over looking?

My chin chews her bars all the time! Especially when I come in the room -- she's always begging to come out of the cage. We used to have a cage with a plastic slide-out bottom, and she chewed a huge hole through it to get out. That's why we got her the Ferret Nation -- so she can't chew through it anymore. But the bars definitely have her bite marks all over it... I'm not sure though... I'm no expert. I guess it's just her trying to escape.

I have another chin, and she seems to be indifferent to being in or outside of the cage. If anything, she seems more comfortable and safe in her cage. So she never chews the bars or anything in her cage.

Some chins just like to chew their cage bars and there's not much that we can do about it. I had one boy that would rattle his cage bars all the time. Usually if I gave him a new toy (just something simple like an apple stick or a willow ball) it would occupy him and he would forget about chewing them. However he did always seem to find his way back to chewing the bars.

I did get him a new cage and he eventually grew out of it. Unfortunately I can't offer much advice on how to get him to stop, though. I haven't really found any fool proof advice or something that works.

My boy does that too, even though he can't do too much to the 1/2 inch hardware cloth the cage sides are made of. He still tries. He also likes to sit in his hammock and chew the hook thingies that hang it from the top of the cage. This is even with pumice, hay cubes, pine shelves, and apple sticks around for him to chew.

Just realized I haven't noticed any of mine do the cage-bar chewing thing since I started using LifeLine as a supplement!
And there were a few that did it before.
Maybe this old-man's imagination, but ...................

I give lifeline as well and there is no difference. Ivory has always chewed at the bars of his FN and he's been in 2 different FN's.

We give lifeline too, and in our home it isn't related to cage chewing either, Lady chews her metal bars along with all her healthy chew toys. We've just learned to accept it as part of her personality.

I was just curious, since this particular chin was never a cage chewer until we put her into just half of an FN-142.

Latest posts

Back