Cage buddies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanceswithElvis

House Hobo
So I've had Nibbler for about three months now and he has adjusted pretty well. He occasionally will get mad at me and pout by hiding in his little house until he hears me mention "treat" or "cheerios" then he pops out for his little treat.

I've been pondering getting him a cage buddy. Right now he has a little stuffed toy, a prairie dog, that he likes to play and cuddle with. I just worry that he might be a little lonely, as I understand that chins are heard animals.

Problem is, I'm not sure where to look. There is one chin at the Petco where I got Nibbs, but I realize...that's not a good place to get chins. Also, they want 200+ for him.

As much as I'd like to save him from a life of Petco, I just can't really justify paying that much for him. I'm in the KC, MO area...and from the looks of the classifieds, everyone is a bit aways from here.

I guess my question is, will Nibbler be okay with being an only chin?

ETA: This was actually supposed to go in the new owner questions forum. Sorry. I'm leaving this up and here, because I don't know what the board protocol is for cases like this. I'm an idiot, sorry.

Last edited:
Chins can and will do fine without a cagemate. In fact there is no guarentee that if you got another chin, they would get along, then you may end up with two cages. If you decide to go the route of getting another chin, post an ad in the chins wanted section and you will get help with local breeders or someone may have one they are looking to rehome.

Some rescues know how to do matchmaking. It takes time, but is how Phoebe was paired with Mary. Magdalene and Esther.

Back