Cage biting until self harm

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tillygizmo

My kids have 4 feety's
We have our little boy who is about 7 months old ... he is a SEVERE cage biter. We have tried everything from not looking at him, giving him all kinds of chews, different hays, wicker stuff, putting fleece and toys where he chews. He just aggressively attacks the toys in the way until he rubs his nose on them so much that it has become red and a bit raw. Tonight we had to put some blu kote on it in case it was open at all. I am worried about him.

We give him up to 3 hours of play time some nights! he has a wheel and wont touch it....

I dont know what to do!

also, Does anyone know how to entice a chin onto their wheel?

What kind of wheel is it? What type of cage does he have, and where is it located? What is the temp in the room, and is there lots of noise?

We have had him for about 2 months now and he got the wheel about 2 weeks ago. The wheel is new from Forchinate Chins, the homemade one. He is in an FN 141 and it is located in our upstairs attick loft where we keep the temperature between 65-67 consistently. We have a reliable air conditioner... and it is SUPER quiet. It is just us and two other adults down on the first floor (we are on the third floor) and they are hardly ever home. In our apartment it is just myself and my partner, we are really quiet and leave them be for the majority of the day for resting.

He is located next two three girls and although we keep a curtain between both of their cages, I thought that might play a role. . .

My Bobo used to be to be the quite the cage biter too until we moved her to a ferret nation. Once there she never bites at the cage bars. Before she was in a cage with an inch square bars and she would stick her nose through and shake the bars and bite. With the ferret nation because the bars aren't square she can't fit her nose neatly in it and I think that has helped to deter her. I don't have any suggestions for the wheel enticement. I have Solange who NEVER goes on the wheel ever and it's been in there for her for 2 years. Neither she nor Abigail are big on the wheel.
Maybe becasue he is still young he's a little hyper Samantha. Hopefully in time he'll calm down for you.

Would it help if the cage was lined in that tiny square wire, I think it might be called hardware cloth?? Maybe then he wouldn't be able to bite it, or at least his nose wouldn't fit through.

Hardware cloth can be found at home depot, Lowes, Menards, etc. It works great and is about 1/4"x1/4". It is tricky to work with though, you need gloves and wire cutters, and patience! You will need some wire, it comes on a roll like dental floss and it is in gages, 14 gage or something is what we use I think to attach it to the cage.

I think the girls are probably in heat when he is freaking out the most. If he is really hurting himself you may consider trying to move him further away if possible. Some males will do things like that, or if caged together fight to the death when females are in heat, or even just around. I think the hardware cloth would work well though, I have tons of cages covered in that to make them kit safe for weaning or chins who jump so much the big spaces make me nervous.

You mentioned its very quiet - maybe its too quiet for him? Have you tried leaving the TV on for him where he can see it? You'd be surprised how many chins love to watch television.

Also as others suggested, maybe he's still too close to the girls. You can get hardware cloth cheapest at most farm supply stores, but its also at hardware stores. Get tin snips to cut it, and you can use floral wire to attach it to the cage if wrapped tightly enough. Or use C-clips (or hog rings they're sometimes called) - or the wire sold on spools for electric fencing works decent too.

Good luck with the lil guy :)
~Barb~

Back