Buttons grounded...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mommyslittlechins2010

i let my chins run everyday out of thier cage. well today i went to put them all back in and buttons was having no part of it what so ever. So i gave them all treat while thier out. and then thier out for a bit and then back in the cage they go. Well buttons didn't wanna go in. when she was in the dust bath i tried putting her in and she'd jump out and go run and hide. Then i though ok fine i'll lever her be and i'll get her later. by this time the other two were in the cage. So then about 15 minutes later i went back tired again. no luck she jumped right back out and tok off again . chased her and chased her. so she decided that is was funny to get her head stuck in bucket that was small for her head. well i thought she injured her self and she wouldn't let me near her. so then she kept getting away from me . so when she did finally get away she ran so fast that i couldn't keep trak of where she went. So for 3 hours tofay i went searching for her .. calling shaking the dust bath and all .nothing i got scared that she was really hurt and she went to die. i though great when the hubby comes home we're going to find a dead chin somewhere. so about 3 hours into this i was really going to declare her dead.

and i was crying and i thought ok i need to find her. well as i was about to give up i looked out in the kitechen by the dog's food container there she was sitting right behind it .. not one wordof a lie . i even got maisy out to even look for her and maisy was right by her but buttons didn't even move. all i said to maisy was go find buttons and she was on it. of course i had to reward her. But yeah buttons was sitting there twitching her nose and just loking at me . so she ran again and i scooped her up and gave her a good talking to. so what does she do?? barks at me and winks that's all she did was bark and wink at me.. then she somehow got a knot in her fur on the one side . she won't let me touch it so i'm going to have to cut it out i think. but she is something else. i was so upset and i told her that she had me upset and that she was grounded.. but it's funnt now , wasn't earlier . i thought she was dead ... thanks goodness it wasn't humid out or she might have been...

that is why buttons is grounded !!!

Have you considered getting a playpen for your chins. It is much easier to catch them and place them back in their cages. A playpen will also give you a safe place for your chins to play and not worry about them getting hurt or lost.

Also if she has a clump in her fur DO NOT cut it off. Chins have thin skin and you can cut her causing a large bloody injury. You can gently tug at it until it comes out and/or give her a dust bath.

She is prey, she is going to run and hide when chased. I agree with the play pen, safer for her and her buddies to be in a enclosed area to play. The only time I had a out of control chin (Spice) that I could not herd into a position to catch I tossed a towel over her, stopped her in her tracks and I scooped her up.

Glad you found her and will only echo what's been said, please get a playpen or give them playtime in a smaller, chin-proof room such as a bathroom. You still need to be in the bathroom with them during playtime or nearby the playpen if you decide to get one. Chins who are outside of their cage should not be left alone.

thanks for the advice guys. but i'd love to let them run in my bathroom but my bathroom is a mess right now.it's getting redone. i'll have to look into a play pen for them . do you guys know where i can get one that is tall enought that they won't escape from it ? also the knot she has will that come out in the dust bath? cause i noticed the other girls cleaning her off ..

use the search function and type in playpen. there are lots of options!

i have one that is fairly tall and my boys have not jumped out....yet. they sell a cover to go over it OR you could use a fitted bed sheet.

they also sell a tent type that many people like. best to do research but get something quickly.......next time you may not be so lucky. i have one boy who likes to escape when i am cleaning his cage but he never gets too far. i know his hiding spots and honestly he likes the human interaction so he always comes to where i am.

They have a large playpen made for small animals like chins, ferrets etc at Petsmart for around 45.00. You can get the cover for under 20.00 or you can use a fitted sheet to over it.

Back