Burrowing under fleece?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chexy114

Hello! I'm new to this forum and I just got my first chin on Saturday! I've actually been very lucky with him he's very curious about me and friendly, and only makes happy noises (from what I've researched haha!)

So anyway, I have fleece on top of all my metal ledges because I don't want his feet to get hurt, and on the main ledge, Momiji has taken to burrowing under it and sleeping there (I think?) Is this normal or ok? Is it a sign of something else? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm a very paranoid new chin mom!

I've only seen him do this now, and when I came home last night he was already under there... I'm a little nervous because I know if you throw a towel or fleece on them they will sit still, but will going under it on his own stop him from exploring his cage during the day? Right now he's just sleeping. Such an angel!!

Btw how did I not find out about these awesome pets sooner??

do you have some extra fleece you can give him? Mine will hide under things, I think it's cute! Does he have a house to hide in to sleep?

oh and WELCOME to the forum!! and we LOVE pictures! Would love to see your new baby!

Thank you so much!!!:)

He does have a hidey house and a stuffed fleece toy and extra scraps of fleece...but he insists on sleeping under the fleece I use as his floor haha! I guess it's just a personality thing...I'm gonna probably end up making him a hammock with a pocket in it...no use spending the money he rarely uses his hidey hut!

Here's the picture I got from the breeder's website (I haven't taken any of my own cuz I'm afraid of making him nervous...lol)

http://7935305037329249260-a-1802744773732722657-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/chinvetsite/sales/baby-6/harrietslightvioletwrap.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7cqXhbQCLE3Qbk7insrR66GMUpkKI6aM488mdd_0yHMADUb8-CT8J0Ue_pPc77VJXu1t7MGAumQ5pADVUMJGF-4rSw3qmnCLdChYpKtWuvGiKXHe_08WSby4OZ8Sbfl6oS8s2u71Zw3C0dpIrN80XOUb0AkbpCMtqV4vgDt3Z3uHAUMJ3NFqMYaZASlMRYmUaAF8eijmD5eRHtVqMJfRcrRHPsjMKOYnKaWqGXYy8wYQiPCPjb8%3D&attredirects=0

Welcome to the forum! We've only had our Annabelle about 2 months, but burrowing is completely normal. They also love to redecorate their cages- move their hidey houses and pull everything out from under it, throw hay around, and basically fix it the way they want it. Annabelle started out sleeping on top of her fleece tube, now she prefers her hammock. :welcome5:

If you check out my avatar, you will see my chin sleeps under his bed. Completely normal! Welcome to the wonderful world of being owned by your chin!

My signature shows my Ziggy hiding under his tent house :) He loves to hide, and so does my little Sammy.

My chin will burrow all the way to the center under the fleece and sleep there. She has a hidey house, tubes, and a hammock but for some reason insists on going under there. Really scared the junk out of me the first time because I couldn't find her in her cage for a good 5 minutes.

That is so cute!!!
My 2 chins use there hammocks for the first week,when I change them,but after that,they do the same thing,sleep under them!!

Back