Burrowing questions?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yuudoku.Niji

For some reason my Chinchilla Ashe seems to be burrowing under my blanket all of the sudden and when i attempt to take the blankets off of him he bites me. Would anyone happen to know why he would be doing this. Please help, and is this normal.

I wouldn't think they'd be cold since they evolved to a climate of 50-55F but I suppose our US bred chinchillas who have to deal with warmer temps may have acclimated to being kept warmer. Most people don't keep their house below 60 and the outdoors sees at least 80s in summer. Chinchillas have been kept in those conditions for many generations now.

I wouldn't think they'd be cold since they evolved to a climate of 50-55F but I suppose our US bred chinchillas who have to deal with warmer temps may have acclimated to being kept warmer. Most people don't keep their house below 60 and the outdoors sees at least 80s in summer. Chinchillas have been kept in those conditions for many generations now.

Well my room usually is between 50 and 70. Right now its 65.

I think the ideal temp for a chin is no lower than 55 degrees, or so I've always read.

Personally I keep my chins room between 60-63 year round and 1 of my 8 burrows under her fleece. I think she does it because it's darker under there than in her house, could be that she is cold but I'm doubting it.

I think the ideal temp for a chin is no lower than 55 degrees, or so I've always read.

Personally I keep my chins room between 60-63 year round and 1 of my 8 burrows under her fleece. I think she does it because it's darker under there than in her house, could be that she is cold but I'm doubting it.

Alright. I've read people keeping chins in colder temps because they have such a thick fur coat but I wouldn't go as far as having it any colder than it already is. Sometimes it gets colder in the night but it usually doesn't get much lower.

We keep ours at around 55 degrees in the winter and no hotter than 72 in the summer. At 72 I see them start to lie around more and back off on their feed. Right now they are quite content.

I doubt his biting you has anything to do with the cold. He was probably just annoyed or frightened when you took the blankets off.

We keep ours at around 55 degrees in the winter and no hotter than 72 in the summer. At 72 I see them start to lie around more and back off on their feed. Right now they are quite content.

I doubt his biting you has anything to do with the cold. He was probably just annoyed or frightened when you took the blankets off.

Oh alright. I did lift them slowly so I probably just annoyed him a little.

My female likes to burrow regardless cold/warm.. its a safety mechanism I'm assuming for her. I've always respected that - but if I get too close she'll lunge/nip me.

When she isn't burrowed/hidden she is lovely.

I think your chin was scared of you/hiding for "me" time as I like to say.

Back