Burrowing chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbringas

I know it's in my chinchillas nature to burrow. The only issue is I have a fleece liner she is continuously folding in half. I don't want to put in wood chips or anything messy. Would her lifting up the fleece be fine? Is there any substitutes or accommodations I can make for her? What is your expierence with this? Thanks ;)

Mine does that all the time, i got a 12x12 tile and put in one cage and he doesnt scrunch it up any more. It should be fine, as long as the under side of the liner is fleece as well.

Okay good. And my liner is fleece on both sides. I have a smaller tile in there and it doesn't phase her. She still has a blast :)

give her a blanket?

mine doesn't burrow but he'll scrunch up the blanket a little and sleep ontop of it

oh my goodness, rutherford used to do this allllll the time. it really bugged me because the liner was held in place inside the cage via lanyard clips. he was a bit too chunky to fit through the spacing between each lanyard clip, so he'd pull and tug and make a lot of metal noise...

i tried to counter his nature to burrow by buying fleece liners with sewn-in burrowing holes from brittany (classychillas i think). it didn't work very well because he didn't get it. so then i just put a lot of heavy stuff on top of the liner to discourage him from going underneath the liner. it worked pretty well, most of the time.

Mine like to make makeshift origami out of their liners. Its perfectly normal. Sometimes I think they like to do it so they can get to the metal pan, which is cool. I do have one chin who only pulls up the liner right below her coop cup. Not sure why...All you can do to prevent it is to weigh it down with stuff like houses, tile, etc.

Mine will take his liner and ball it up and put it into his box. :)) I decided to make more little fleece blankets that he can use and it worked for a little bit but then he decided that it would be a game and went back to balling it up. so i eventually just gave up. i try to keep heavy things on the corners. but it only works sometimes.

My chin sometimes pulls at the fleece, but I'm not sure if she wants under it or is just mad at the wrinkles in it LOL. After I flatten it out she's fine, she must be a picky person like me!

Have you found something to help? I'm curious to what you did!

Latest posts

Back