Bumblefoot

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hresko

Adult male chinchilla has mild bumblefoot. Are there any home remedies that have been helpful? He gets out everyday and runs and doesn't seem uncomfortable. I've heard soaking in Epsom salt can help. Anyone know how much salt and how often and duration? Thank you I appreciate all of your help‼

I have never used epsom salt, but I have rubbed in a bit of Bag Balm to soften the skin. I use a thin layer and rub it in good; I don’t want my chins to lick it off.

On the side of the epsom salt box it has a ratio for foot soaks. I followed that and used it to dampen a paper towel. Then I held the paper towel on my chins feet for as long as they would allow. Then dried, and bag balmed.

Thank you that makes sense. I was imagining trying to keep his foot in a bowl of water and was wondering how that could happen. I'm getting the Bag Balm delivered tomorrow then I will do what you suggested. Thank you so much I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Back