Bumblefoot

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalicoPrairie

Took the whole herd of chins to the vet yesterday and two have bumblefoot for having lived on wire bottomed cages for their whole lives. From what I can tell, they are not horrible cases of bumblefoot, at least not from some of the pics I've seen online. Also, the feet aren't hot, scabby, or anything, more like they have cracks and my girl's feet are pink on the "heels" if that makes sense.

Dr. prescribed GenOne spray for their feet and the dosage is 2x/day for 7 days.....but when I look it up in the books and online, it seems like it is much more of a process to deal with than just spray a bit of medicine on it twice a day for a week. Is there anything else that I ought to be doing? Dr. didn't prescribe soaks or antibiotics or anything, which is fine if it's not needed, but for some reason it seems like those things are generally brought up as treatment, and I've found nothing about using GenOne for chins for bumblefoot or otherwise.

I'm new to chins, and I don't mean to question those that have studied vet medicine longer than I have, I am just wanting to learn. TIA!

In chinchillas, you don't want to use a steroid where they can reach it-orally the betamethasone in the Genone is not cool if they lick it off their feet. They can have steroids in the eye and that is it.

Eyes and by injection and thats it. Reason for nothing oral is steroids can cause ulcers in the digestive tract.

Ok thank you, Dawn. Does it help if I rub it into their feet? I was uncomfortable with it dripping off their feet anyway, and being that they are on fleece, do you think that would help? If not, what else could I do for them to help them get through this?

Again, it doesn't really seem like there is an active infection happening on either of their feet--no heat, no open sores, etc., and only one of their feet look pink. Suggestions? I probably could go back to the vet, but she's about an hour away and if there is something I can do to deal with this instead, I'd go ahead and do that.

Alternatively, is there a way I can make it safe to use the GenOne? Wrap their feet after a spray? Rub the medicine into their feet? Anything like that?

Awesome, thank you.

Here are my boy's feet. The second and third are just his "heels":
DSC03732.jpg

DSC03733.jpg

DSC03734.jpg

And my girl's feet:
DSC03735.jpg

DSC03736.jpg

I'll check out that thread right now.

See that's what I was thinking. Nothing out of the ordinary or awful, just that pinkness on Mama's feet, which I'm not sure isn't normal. Thanks Ticklechin, I'll PM her.

Those are normal feet. Just a note, living on wire doesnt cause bumble foot. Thats a common misconception. Its an infection caused by unsanitary conditions. A chin in a solid bottom cage can get it as well

Ahh thanks for taking a look, and for the info. I've read that in other threads, which does make sense. I think Stackie's thread made that point, which is very helpful.

I think in the case of my guys, there was an issue with somewhat unsanitary conditions before they came to me. I don't know that the wire was being wiped down weekly, and there was some rusting on the cage floors, which made it more worrysome that they might have this condition. I'm glad they look normal to everyone, I was thinking that myself.

I agree, they look pretty normal to me. Bumblefoot causes the pad to be swollen and almost look flattened out like a pancake, and usually there are red/infected cracks in the skin. Normal chin feet appear pink with some dry skin. The first one does look a little dry and could probably benefit from some bag balm, but I'd only apply it once. You don't want to over-do it as making the feet too soft also puts them at risk for bumblefoot.

I agree, they look pretty normal to me. Bumblefoot causes the pad to be swollen and almost look flattened out like a pancake, and usually there are red/infected cracks in the skin. Normal chin feet appear pink with some dry skin. The first one does look a little dry and could probably benefit from some bag balm, but I'd only apply it once. You don't want to over-do it as making the feet too soft also puts them at risk for bumblefoot.

Thanks Stackie, I appreciate you taking a look. Will look around for some bag balm and see if that helps alleviate some of the dryness.

I would say maybe get a new vet? Those are just chin feet, maybe a little dry, but nothing to worry about.

Thanks, Tunes.

As far as a new vet, I might be doing that. I really liked this one, but in looking again, I see that there are a few closer to me. I'll have to see which one is most experienced with chinchillas.

It's hard to find an exotic vet. My mine one is Dr. Greek in Yorba Linda but he's too far for you.

It's hard to find an exotic vet. My mine one is Dr. Greek in Yorba Linda but he's too far for you.

The one I was going to is in Norco, so maybe not? I think he would be just about 10-20 mins further. Thanks for sharing, Snickers!

Latest posts

Back