Bumblefoot / feet question...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRose

I could use some advice guys. I've read a couple of posts that I could find on bumble feet and I'm not sure that's what my Peepers has but either way one said stuff like bag balm would work and the other that he would need to go to the vet for antibiotics and chlorhexadine? Anyone who has lost of experience, you breeders esp, if you could give me advice?

So here's the situation. I do full clean out's of cages regularly but in between i just do mini cleans: clean up major pees spots, sweep off shelves and ledges of poops, etc. Last night before I went to bed I was doing this and when i started to sweep off Peepers big shelf ,which is covered in light blue fleece right now, I noticed some reddish spots towards the back. I couldn't think what made it since the only red thing i give them is rosehips and i don't see how that could stain. So I took off the fleece to get a better look and it looked like dried blood but it's just a little bit and not alot since it wasn't soaked into the fleece. So I grab Peepers and start checking him all over (which he did not appreciate, lol). Nothing on him, his body, genital area, then I look at his feet. One looks fine but the back right heel looked a little cracked and reddish, and looked like some dried blood might be there. I don't know that this means he had bumblefoot since I'm not 100% what that involves. He does not appear to have an abcess/pus, no big cracks, no swelling. His cage is one half of a FN, he has aspen bedding on the bottom, that marble chin chiller thing in one corner, the shelf that came with the FN covered in fleece, fleece hammock, a sleeping ledge, woodhouse, and hanging toy. Side note on his history, he came to me from a girl who was moving cross country and used to live in an all wire cage. That was for the first 4-5 years of his life. I've had him for about 2 years now and he was in a converted cage with solid surfaces and just in early Jan got moved to the FN. Took him to my animal handling class last quarter, the professor thought he had beginning stages of bumblefoot but then she's not a vet. I've never seen any other signs of sickness and he eats and drinks regularly. Checked his weight this morning and he is 4g lighter than last month's weight.

So here are my questions:
What is Bumblefoot exactly and does he have it?

Can I treat this myself or is a vet visit in the morning in order?

What might be causing this? (All 4 chins have the same set up and no one else has this problem. Don't want all 4 to get it)

I thought a variety of surfaces was good? Could it be the aspen?

Should I be doing a daily feet maintenance of their feet? (Like daily moisturizing?)

Winter time in Southern Cali, does that have anything to do with it?

Not freaking out YET but just concerned. Heading out to the store to see about getting bag balm is case I need it. Let me know guys what you think. Thanks!

According to the way you describe the situation, it does not sound like he has bumblefoot. It sounds more like his feet are just very dry and raw, hence the cracking and possible bleeding. Winter in SoCal (where I am originally from) are usually pretty dry and that mixed with the cold and having dust baths, could possibly dry out his feet. How often is he given a dustbath, since I know that sometimes their feet, hands, and ears can get dry if they are bathed too often. I would definitely start with the bag balm to moisturize his feet and if that doesn't work, then there is probably something else going on. Good luck :))

I am not a breeder but here is what I know:

What is Bumblefoot exactly and does he have it?
Basically it is when a callus forms and fluid builds up under it eventually cracking allowing for bacteria to get into the skin causing infection. Chinchillas being on their feet most of the time cannot relieve the pressure to let the wounds heal properly and it is a vicious cycle.
Can I treat this myself or is a vet visit in the morning in order?
If it is truly Bumblefoot then the foot might need to be debrided (dead skin removed) and then antibiotics given and topical treatment for the feet.
What might be causing this? (All 4 chins have the same set up and no one else has this problem. Don't want all 4 to get it)
I have no idea but other than making sure the surfaces in the cages are kept clean there is not much to be done besides using Bag Balm to help with severely callused feet (calluses are normal for chinchillas).
I thought a variety of surfaces was good? Could it be the aspen?
I doubt it is the Aspen. A variety of surfaces is good.
Should I be doing a daily feet maintenance of their feet? (Like daily moisturizing?)
I have never done daily maintenance on my chins. I think I have administered Bag Balm once. Over moisturizing could be detrimental as well since they are on their feet most of the time they need the hard skin to protect them from getting abrasions on their feet.
Winter time in Southern Cali, does that have anything to do with it?
I have no idea.

Sometimes chinchilla urine could be a reddish brown color appearing like blood...just a thought. I would try the Bag Balm and if after a few days you feel like there may be infection or swelling then I would seek a vet.

Last edited:
Dust baths like maybe 2-3 times a week. I don't have set days for them. Use Blue Cloud for the bath. I just bought the Bag Balm at CVS and rubbed some on that heel. I'm hoping that's all it is.

One of my chins has had bumblefoot, I walked in and saw blood all over the ledges. She did have an infection at first I just noticed the pad was wider. After a couple days of scrubbing it she started to have pus come from it.

I would also try the bag a balm and if there is more bleeding or it gets hot, or swollen then take it to the vet. Also cut the dust baths on it down to once a week.

Back