Bumble foot

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kara315

When I took Tigger to the vet, she mentioned he may have a slight case of bumble foot, but wasn't serious where he was given anything.......not sure why as all his surfaces are flat, but I'm going to clean them tomorrow. What can I do for his feet?
Is bumble foot just when their feet get dry or is it an actual infection, I haven't heard much about it before, so don't know what it is.
I've done a quick search on here and see people recommend bag balm, does this just help, or get rid of it?
Thanks.

Bumble foot is an infection, caused when the feet crack and bacteria gets into the cracks. Bag balm helps heal the infection if it's minor enough since it contains antiseptic, as well as it helps moisturize the dry feet.

Hard flat surfaces can actually cause bumble foot since it's not natural for them to be putting pressure on their whole foot all the time, so it can cause already dry feet to split. Adding some round porches will help by giving the chin somewhere to sit that provides rolling pressure as then balance. I have a mix of shelves, ledges, and lots of perches, which allows for different options. If you think about chins in the wild they hop on and around rocks, logs, and on dirt.

Glad nothing serious has happened, I've had the flat shelves ever since I got him 9 years ago. I will get the balm and look for different shaped shelves. Luckily he sleeps in his fleece tube so he's not constintley on the shelves. Any ideas where to buy the other shelves? Anyone on here make them?
Thanks

Several venders on this site sell rounded perches, just look around or click some banners at the top. Ronda's Chins also has some nice perches.

Drs Foster & Smith usually have the best deal on the lava ledges, those are a good option too. I think Shelley at Fleece for Furries (on facebook) sells wood perches too.

I've got perches in poplar- and can make about whatever you want I've got poplar saplings growing in far to many places-they're taking over. Rhonda has more wood types. I know Whimsy and Twilight chins are usually mentioned for wood, but I think they've got more stuff made out of kd pine than the more natural shapes...

Back