Bumble foot?? Please help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SariReanna

About two weeks ago I moved my chinchilla into a Ferret Nation. I've ordered some fleece liners online and since I'm still waiting for them to arrive I decided to replace the plastic shelves/trays with kiln dried pine since my chinchilla is really good with using his litter box. I keep his cage very clean.

When I took him out of the cage on Tuesday, I noticed his feet were pretty dry and irritated looking and had a couple of painful looking sores on one of them that I hadn't noticed before. I wasn't home for most of the weekend so I didn't have a chance to look at him closely like this and it was quite alarming to me as I hadn't seen any kind of problems with his feet when I had handled him a few days prior.

Assuming the sores and irritation were caused by sitting on the wood (which is odd since the 3 main shelves in his last cage were kiln dried pine as well, however he had the metal cage tray to sit on if his feet got sore) I immediately moved him into his kennel since the surface inside is smooth and chilled his piece of granite so he could rest his feet on it, which he seemed to really like. Then I went out to a fabric store right away and bought some fleece to make him some makeshift cage liners until the proper ones arrive. He's been acting totally normal and isn't lethargic or anything like that & in the past 2 days his feet have seemed to improve quite a bit but are still looking rough and I'm very worried and afraid he's in a lot of pain :(

(Also the fur around his genitals has started looking a little dingy over the past day which I've never seen on him before. I've been making sure to keep his cage/litter box especially clean since I noticed the sores as I want to avoid any infection possibilities as best as I can so this also troubled me a little bit.)

I'm hoping you guys can take a look at this picture and tell me if this is considered bumble foot, and if you think I should take him to our vet right away or if there is anything else I can do to help him out at home first?

This picture was taken today (2 days after noticing the sores)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...umblr_maoi0bhAAo1qcrqtwo1_500_zpsec9dfa61.jpg

I'm not a chinchilla expert, but I would get Bag Balm from your local drugstore and put that on his feet. They look a little dry. I am not sure what you can do about the sores though

Thanks for the help! I booked him an appointment and got in as soon as possible and my vet prescribed him an antibiotic and his feet and fur are already starting to look better. :)

Back