Building or buying breeding runs

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamond Dreams

Erudite Chinchillas
I need more runs and I'm trying to decide whether I could build something I like or if I should just go ahead and buy runs. Have you built a run you really liked? Have you bought a run you really liked?

The only problem with building them is the pans. Tyson wants to build me runs but the pans always give us a problem. Without a bench thingy for bending the metal into pan shapes it's near impossible to make your own. Then having them made is expensive as well.

I buy my runs from Gary which are the same ones Ryerson makes and they've been great cages for me so far(I've had them for about 2 years now). I would prefer to buy them...but I'm lazy.

Bass Equipment has trays I think would work - "DP6-1/2 - 18 1/2" x 24 1/2" x 2" - $14.30".

I'm lazy too but if I can make something I like it might be worth it. How much are Gary's runs?

Depends on what you want. You'd have to call and ask. I pay about $75 for the three holes.

Becky needs to post a picture of the inside of her barn. I would love to have my entire barn just like hers, but she won't rent Ritchie out! They did all the cages themselves and they are very nice. They aren't huge, but they are all wire, with a gap in between each cage so no toes get bit, and there is great airflow.

I hope Becky does post pictures of her set up. I would love to see it!

I think I will buy 3 trays to see if I can make something I like. If that I doesn't work, I'll resort to purchasing runs for the time being.

Hi Elisa

Well you've seen our runs ( 3hole wire with the run in the front) and yes, RDZC is right...the run itself is time consuming and tedious work, cutting and clamping the wire. But it's VERY hard to make the trays without the right equipment. My husband does a pretty good job but there not perfect. But they are functional and serve the purpose. If you do find a way to make or buy the trays to fit the runs, please let me know. Im sure my husband would love an option. :)

I've made my own wire runs, love them. They have "solid" metal dividers-sort of. I bought ones that were perforated. They have small holes throughout. Toes can't get bitten but airflow is improved. I also bought my pans from this company. They work out great and the price is pretty cheap. I paid roughly $12 per pan that was 16 x 24" and 3" deep. Shipping was very reasonable. I plan on ordering from them again.

http://www.klubertanz.com/

Jessica

I wanted wire cages with wire dividers, for maximum air flow. Rich makes pans for me. All of my cages (around 150) except 12 are exactly the same size. They are 24 by 18 by 12. I have 12 smaller ones, still all wire, for a small space where the bigger ones didn't fit. They are used for weaning cages.

Like Peggy said, there are two layers of wire between each cage, with a space in between to keep toes safe.

I love my cages!

Yes, yes, we know all that - but where is the PICTURE????

I will make her post pictures when I am there tomorrow, if she has not already done so.

Back