Building my own cage interior

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macaroni and Chiz

Animal obsessed
I bought my chin cage off of craigslist and I dont know what kind it is, but after doing more research I am not happy with it. I would have liked to build an entire new cage, however that will have to wait until I can afford it. So I've decided to redo the inside of the cage and build all my own interior stuff. I will be going to lowes and home depot to get the supplies needed in a couple weeks. I have a few questions to get me started. I have done research and I continue to research so I know what I will be getting myself into :)

1. What wood do I use to build the ledges, houses etc.??
2. How do I hang them to the cage? it is 1" bar spaced cage.
3. How do I clean all the poo off the ledges and stuff?

I am sure I'll have more questions as I start to build. Also if some of you could post pics of your cage setups so I can kind of get an idea of how I want to do this, would be greatly appreciated :) I am open to any extra info you can give me.

1. Poplar, of the most popular, kiln dried pine.
2. Hanger bolts, a washer and something to tighten it with like wing nuts I think it's called.
3. They shouldn't be stuck to the wood because healthy poo isn't sticky or that squishy. But I use a shop vac for regular cleaning, the bigger the hose the better. At least 2" hose. If they do get squishy poos you can use sandpaper to make them look newer again.

okay thank you!! I have changed my mind and will actually be building a whole new cage!! I just feel like they deserve a bigger space especially now that I am putting two in there. I think I have done enough research though and I'll be sure to ask if I have any more questions :)

Latest posts

Back