Building House

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridebmx413

I have wood laying around, and instead of buying a cage for my chin I figured I'd just build one. But I don't know if the wood will hurt the chinchilla if he chews on it. Can anyone tell me if it would or not? Or should I just go buy a large cage. And where could I find one cheapish, if so?

It would depend on the type of wood it is that you have laying around. If you're unsure what type of wood it is, I personally wouldn't risk it.

I think it's personally easier to buy a cage rather than build one, but that's personal opinion.....and especially if you don't have all the tools to start with. I built my own melamine cage awhile back, but after having to buy the materials plus a staple gun, screws, hammer, and all the other things I didn't have lying around, it ended up being a bit of work, and about as costly as simply buying a cage. It was fun though :)

I have all the tools necessary and supplies. The wood is normal 2x4's and siding for barns. But I can't find anything on if it's harmful or not.

you can use that for the base if you are going to use wire for the sides. but for any inside shelving or anything they can get to it needs to be kiln dried or chin safe.

you can use the search function for both safe woods and home made cages.

my fiance' built me a massive home made cage and it took FOREVER and it is a real PITA to clean. my 2 chins love it! but you could probably fit 6 or more chins in their comfortably. it is huge.
here is the thread it is pictured in:

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6887&highlight=finally+cage

Wow, ticklechin, your chinchilla room is amazing! I am totally jealous!

Wood starts to smell like pee-pee. I just built two new houses and I should have done it sooner. Because even when the cage and everything was clean the area still smelled bad until I replaced their houses. Is your wood new? IDK but I'm thinking the siding is out because it might have glue and who knows what types of wood made up the piece. Maybe if you sent pics of the 2X4's someone can ID the wood? If it's safe I would just make shelves and houses IMO.

Latest posts

Back