Building a cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evelyn

Like I have mention in another thread that I wanna add a level or two to gizmo cage, I'm actually thinking about building one up now. I have been doing some research and wonder if you guys know where can I get a good cage plan? I wanna use wood as much as I could. I might get the wire out of the old cage to mix it up though

I looked for cage plans when I decided I wanted to build my own cage. I found one that was being sold for about $5 somewhere and it was three walls of melamine I believe. To be honest, I think it was easier to make my own plans. If you sit down with a pencil and some paper, you can figure out the logistics by yourself.

The biggest advantage is you can find out what supplies the stores around you have in stock and incorporate them into your plans appropriately. My plans changed due to what size wire I could find and what was expensive or not. I would first get a list of accessible, affordable supplies then you can draw up your schematics and plans.

I have some pictures of my cage building process in an album on my profile and I'm sure other have pictures of their homemade cages.

Caiti I saw your album, it looks incredible. The whole cage looks so sturdy and reliable. I'm also looking into the possibility of building my own but would have to go through the process of acquiring the tools first, so this potential project will have to be placed on hold.

My question is, I've read that certain woods can be detrimental to the chin's healths (I think I heard pine?), and also I assume protective coatings and such could also be hazardous. What should I watch out for? I may not build a brand new cage left, but I was thinking of adding a wooden shelf to our existing one.

Kiln dried pine is what you need to look for. It is safe for them to chew on. stay away from hardwoods, those are a no-no.

Caiti, i saw you added a hammock that attaches to the underside of the shelves. For the life of me i cant think of what those hooks are called. The ones that screw into the shelf...... figured id go nuts trying to explain to the guy at menards what they were and it'd be better if i could figure out a name for them.

Caiti, i saw you added a hammock that attaches to the underside of the shelves. For the life of me i cant think of what those hooks are called. The ones that screw into the shelf...... figured id go nuts trying to explain to the guy at menards what they were and it'd be better if i could figure out a name for them.

They're called eyelet screws :)

Caiti Your cage is beautiful! It looks like a wooden ferret nation!!!

Yep, those screws are the "eye" of "hooks and eyes".

Monarch- I don't think I ever held a drill before I built that cage. I bought all the tools and hardware, I had pretty much nothing to begin with. The only thing I had was a hammer that my dad bought me for my birthday. It took me a couple months since I was all anal about planning it but still changed the plans and made mistakes. And now that I have the tools, I actually use them. I built myself a swinging door out of plywood for my room (I technically live in a living room, so I only have a doorway--no door) and put up some curtain rods for my windows and stuff like that. I think starting with making shelves would be great and not too overwhelming!! KD pine is what most people use. It's inexpensive, popular and easy to work with. Usually you can look online and it'll specify whether it was kiln or heat dried or the wood will have a stamp that reads KD on it. You want untreated wood, also--nothing pressure treated for decks or anything outside. I don't know if there are any safe sealants or finishes, so I just avoided them.

It was a bit expensive, but no more than buying an FN and putting bass pans and wooden shelves in it. Whoever wants to build a cage, I'd say go as slow as you can within reason. You'll catch more mistakes and it will disperse the expenses so they are easier to deal with. And take advantage of free/minimal cost wood cutting at the store. I bought a cheap $6 hand saw and it does the job but takes forever with the wide boards for shelves. The wood for the framing was easier to cut on my own, since it was just 1"x2".

Thanks for all the compliments on the cage!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back