Build A Cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xohbrandixoh2013

This might be a weird question, but has anyone on here built their own cage? I've been looking into getter a bigger cage for my chins and I don't really like what they have out there. So if you have made one, what did you use and did it work? :hmm:

A number of people have made their own cages. The question is what materials to use. If you know some one or a supplier that can get rolls of cage grade wire mesh, then you can go that route. Others have made custom houses out of wood and wire or have used wire shelving/melamine panels. I personally have made my own cages and runs out of cage grade wire, but I had a friend who had a business which included cage making.

My dad made me a cage. It's made out of a bunch of wire shelving welded together to make the cage itself, and then has a bunch of wooden shelves and a sheet metal bottom (he was a sheet metal worker so he made it nice and safe) it has a hole on the bottom on it and has a stand, the hole enters into an old cage that my first chinchilla was in. So the thing is from my floor to the roof of my room! It's about 6.5 feet tall, and I need a stool to clean it all the way. But my chinnies LOVE it.

Here is a cage I built out of pine. It may have something you might want to incorporate into your own. I've also added fleece tube and hammock between couple of the selves and seems to help them get to the next level.
ma3uqeve.jpg
qybuduza.jpg
na8uryba.jpg
vazune6u.jpg

Back