Brushing/Combing Alternative?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeatherLouWho

The Squee Queen
Hi, All! Not sure if this post goes here, or would be better somewhere else (mods?), but I have a quandary with my boy, Asa. Despite coming from a show home (shout out to Sycamore Chins!), he really, really hates being brushed or combed. Since he is now a pet, and I want to continue with building his trust and affection, it upsets me every time I have to do it.

So, my question is, is there a way to either make him calmer/more accepting of being brushed and combed?

Better yet, is there a method to get him to brush/comb himself? I know there are devices made for cats that attach to wall corners that are little combs that they can rub against. They even make brush bars and posts for horses and donkeys to use. Is there a way to buy/make one for a chinchilla?

I have thought of buying a wooden-backed, natural fiber-bristled horse brush, and bolting it to the side of the cage (bristles-in, of course). My only issue with doing that is that the natural-fiber bristles for horse brushes are not really fine enough to penetrate far into a chins coat (think natural fiber broom bristles). The ones that ARE fine are made out of much less stiff materials (boar bristles, goat hair, and the like).

Am I just looking for the wrong answer?

Thanks for reading this far, if you have.

TL/DR: want to make a brushing bar/post for my chinchilla, but don't know if it is feasible.

I never brush or comb my boys. If they are looking especially shaggy I give them an extra dust bath. I think that if you're not showing them they don't need to be groomed.

Agreed - most chins do not like to be combed/groomed! We do it for show to get the animal to look its absolute best but I rarely groom my pet chins. They typically look fine with regular dust baths.

I echo the sentiments that are here. I've never considered brushing my boys. If they need a little help I just pluck it off ;)

My issue is that he seems so itchy when he sheds. I figured that brushing/combing would help get rid of the itchy loose hair. Am I wrong?

I use my fingers hmm, hard to describe, ill try to record it for you when im home... basically i use my hand to comb her fur when shes shedding, ill pull the loose stuff out gently and dump it in a near by waste bin, she loves the feeling and will sit still till im done ( normally she likes to run around not be held). Ill finish up with a dust bath. doing this once a day while she sheds is more than enough to keep hair out of the air. Also, a lint roller can pick up loose hairs, just becareful with that one cause a fresh sticky sheet is sometimes strong enough to pull up not loose hair..

He scratches and nibbles at his fur, especially his sides, a lot during spring and fall. No spots or hair loss, so I don't think it's a fungus. He also will roll a lot in his hidey house, or on his pumice rocks. I do let him bathe once or twice a week, so I don't think it's that. He just seems itchy.

If I had nails, I would try that, but I am an obsessive nail-peeler. :(

Ahh no nails, I got my dads camera (mine sucks) to take pics of my kit, ill make a short vid of me grooming my chin. You use the space between your fingers. Some times they complain when you do their back/near the tail but once they get used to it they enjoy getting all that loose hair out..

Ok I took a quick vid of me grooming my white chin. He isn't shedding right now so you don't see hair coming out, but when they have a bunch of loose hairs this will really help pull it free. I keep a trash bin near by when I do it for real too. ;P Even when he isn't shedding you can see he likes the massage, normally he won't stay still in my lap!

As you see it is a scissor motion, and you do it gently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpKM4WFs1Zg

Latest posts

Back