Broken Tooth

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gella

Has anyone experienced this?
I noticed Spooky doing something weird when she was chewing yesterday and took a look and one of her lower teeth was broken clean off about halfway down. I am bringing her to my vet in about an hour, but if anyone is online do you have any advice for things to be aware of with tooth breakage or causes?

She is still eating hay but I noticed a lot of half pellets in her bowl, so I'm concerned about her being able to chew them with the uneven teeth. I'm hoping the vet can recommend a solution - would they just trim the other one even and let them grow back together?

Just make sure it isn't jagged, so that it can't cut her lip, and make sure it isn't cracked so that more breaks away. The vet should know if the other one needs trimmed down to match or not, but their teeth do grow pretty quickly so barring any more breakage she should catch up again.

Also, keep some CC on hand, just in case. It may put her off her feed for a little while if she's in pain or because it just feels weird.

My chinchilla had a broken tooth a while back. I can't remember if it was the the top or bottom. But one of the two were broken in the front to the halfway point. I made her an apt. She was eating fine and acting normal. But the other tooth had broken down to the size of the already broken one. So I think that helped out that they were both even atleast. No sharp or jagged points. She checked out fine at the vets. No need for meds or anything.

I had one break his tooth a while back. It wasn't jagged so we kept an eye on it. It grew back and we kept an eye on it to make sure it stayed even. It grew back fine.

Spooky is home safe and sound, the vet trimmed her teeth to be even and said it was most likely some blunt force trauma that caused a crack and then it finally split. I'm guessing it was the crazy bar biting freakout that happened in her carrier when we moved....

She's going back in a month to check the growth and make sure it isn't something else that caused a break or any misalignment.

I've got critical care for if she stops eating, but she seemed to be doing okay right before we left for the appointment, she should be able to eat better now that things are evened out I'm hoping. Any other signs to watch for after a tooth trim?

Mostly pain. Some chins handle it without any analgesia and others don't do so well. If she's in pain, she won't eat as normal, will be more quiet in her cage, etc.

Latest posts

Back