Bringing home a chinchilla.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonmariexoxo

Annabelle's Mommy! (:
What do you suggest bringing a chinchilla home in. If the lead I have right now works out, I'll be going on a 1.5 hour car ride with a chinchilla, and I want her to be as comfortable as possible. So, what's the best thing to get to bring one home?

I have like a small dog/cat carrier, but it's mainly plastic and I don't know if it's okay for a chin.

I brought my two girls home in a plastic cat carrier with some fleece in the bottom of the carrier, to soak up pee.

The carrier I have at home currently is just a green version of what you use, so I can just stick some fleece in there and I'll be good to go. Thank you! :)

I transported them in a cat-carrier aswell, small model with a pillow inside (fleece pillow). This worked very well for me; probably because they were scared from the movement and noises they barely investigated the carrier, they didn't pee neither.
I had a drive of an hour with them like this, and everything worked out ok.

I don't want to hijack your thread -but I am just curious- do people hang up waterbottles aswell? The breeder told me it wasn't necessary for a one hour drive, but from what point do you think it is? Does this depends on the duration of the trip, the chin (age?)?

I recently brought my newest chinchilla home in just a soft cat carrier and it was a 4hour drive. I threw in some hay and chew sticks which he chewed up a bit. Not sure if he ate any hay.

I just went to pick up some chins the other day and I took a metal Ryerson carrier with me. It was hot and I didn't know that the wood or cardboard carriers would have been better in the heat. I have some of those too. Wish I would have known that before as obviously I would have brought that instead. I know you are going with plastic but just wanted to mention about metal in the heat just in case this may help someone else.

I agree with adding some hay and chew sticks to the carrier in case she does want to chew anything - that way hopefully it isn't the plastic.

Just cover the plastic with fleece & throw in a chinchiller and some sticks/hay...I like the Ryerson carriers but the plastic cat carriers are just as functional as long as you are careful to cover areas of plastic that might tempt a chin to chew :)

If you hang a water bottle while traveling, it will leak and can soak your chinchilla. Instead, for longer trips, offer water every time you stop.

Back